Cylinder & Piston Thermodynamics Calculations

In summary: E^26(1.38E^-23)(300) - 490500 = .12402 JIn summary, a vertical cylinder contains 500 moles of a monatomic ideal gas initially at a volume of 1 m^3 and a temperature of 300 K. The piston is released and eventually comes to rest at a final equilibrium position with a larger volume. The number of gas molecules is 3.01E^26. The initial pressure is 12.29844227 atm and the final pressure is 0.4840857 atm. The work done by the expanding gas is 0.12402 J.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A vertical cylinder contains 500 moles of a monatomic ideal gas and is
closed off by a piston of mass 50 kg and a cross-sectional area of 100 cm2. The whole system is thermally insulated during the entire process described below. Initially, the piston is clamped in position so that the gas occupies a volume of 1 m3 and is at a temperature of 300 K. The piston is then released, and eventually comes to rest in a final equilibrium position corresponding to some larger volume V of the gas. Neglect any frictional forces which might prevent the piston from sliding freely within the cylinder. Compute:

(a) the number of gas molecules in the cylinder;

(b) the initial pressure of the gas (in units of atm);

(c) the final pressure of the gas (in units of atm).

(d) Obtain an expression for the work done by the expanding gas in terms of change in volume of the system.

Using the above results, apply the first law of thermodynamics and compute:

(e) the final volume of the gas; and

(f) the final temperature of the gas.
[HINT: The final equilibrium position of the piston is reached when the weight of the piston is exactly balanced by the pressure of the gas. Note: the process described above is not reversible.]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

...Part A) i believe ij ust multiply 500 moles by avagdrs nubers

N = 500(6.02E^23) = 3.01E^26

...Part B) P = NkT/V = (3.01E^23)(1.38E^-23)(300)/1 = 1246140 N/m^2

N/^2 = 9.86923E^-6 atm

Therefore P_o = 12.29844227 atm

...Part C)

P = F/A = 50(9.81)/.1 = 490500 N/m^2 = 4.840857 atm (i think this is wrong, does anything less than 1 atm imply there is a vacume)

...Part D) i believe i used W = integral of Pdv,

v_o = 1 ^3, v_final = Nkt/P = (3.01E^23)(1.38E^-23)(300)/490500 = .00254 m^3

the vfinal should be larger than v initial because the pressure went down. what did i do wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
joemama69 said:

Homework Statement

...Part A) i believe ij ust multiply 500 moles by avagdrs nubers

N = 500(6.02E^23) = 3.01E^26

...Part B) P = NkT/V = (3.01E^23)(1.38E^-23)(300)/1 = 1246140 N/m^2

N/^2 = 9.86923E^-6 atm

Therefore P_o = 12.29844227 atm

All of that is right.

...Part C)

P = F/A = 50(9.81)/.1 = 490500 N/m^2 = 4.840857 atm (i think this is wrong, does anything less than 1 atm imply there is a vacume)

You have to take into account the pressure exerted by the atmosphere. Also, 100 cm^2 is 0.01 m^2, not 0.1 m^2.

P = F/A = 50(9.81)/.01 = 49050 N/m^2 = .4840857 atm

Ok so that is the Pressure frm the weight of the piston

Do i have to add in 1 atm, making it 1.5 atm

Yeah.

because it desnt matter what's in the cylinder or how much, it only depends on the applied forces, if it pushes down with x amount, the gas is going to compress and push back with x amount pressure... is this ture

Part D)

is this siply W = integral PdV from v_o=1 to V = nRT/P

joemama69 said:
because it desnt matter what's in the cylinder or how much, it only depends on the applied forces, if it pushes down with x amount, the gas is going to compress and push back with x amount pressure... is this ture

I don't understand this. What's "it"? What's "x amount"?

joemama69 said:
Part D)

is this siply W = integral PdV from v_o=1 to V = nRT/P

Yes, but you have to figure out how to integrate PdV

Do you mean integrating based on the type of process,

what do you mean i have to figure out how to integrate PdV,

Forget about that for a moment. Just find the answer to d): what is the work done by the expanding gas?

W = integral PdV from v_o=1 to V = nRT/P

=P(nRT/P -1) = nRT - P

Related to Cylinder & Piston Thermodynamics Calculations

1. What is a cylinder and piston?

A cylinder and piston are two mechanical components that work together to convert pressure into motion. The cylinder is a hollow tube with a closed end, while the piston is a cylindrical object that fits snugly inside the cylinder.

2. How do cylinders and pistons work?

Cylinders and pistons work by creating a seal between the cylinder walls and the piston. When pressure is applied to one end of the cylinder, the piston moves in the opposite direction, creating a linear motion. This motion can be converted into rotational motion through the use of a crankshaft.

3. What are some common uses for cylinders and pistons?

Cylinders and pistons are commonly used in engines, such as those found in cars, motorcycles, and other vehicles. They are also used in hydraulic systems to create linear motion, and in pneumatic systems to convert air pressure into mechanical motion.

4. What materials are cylinders and pistons typically made of?

Cylinders and pistons are typically made of strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, or cast iron. The materials used depend on the intended use and the amount of pressure and friction the components will experience.

5. What maintenance is required for cylinders and pistons?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the proper functioning of cylinders and pistons. This includes regular cleaning and lubrication to prevent friction and wear. It is also important to regularly check for any damage or wear and replace any worn or damaged parts to prevent further issues.