Capacitance, charge and potential

In summary: Your name]In summary, in this conversation, the individual is asking for help with finding the equivalent capacitance and charge stored on it, as well as the potential and charge on each individual capacitor in a circuit. The equations used are q = CV and V = q/C. The individual is also wondering if knowing the equivalent capacitance can help with finding the values for the individual capacitors.
musicmar

Homework Statement

The battery has a potential difference of 20 V. Find: a. the equivalent capacitance of all of the capacitors and b. the charge stored on that equivalent capacitance. Find the potential across and charge on c. capacitor 1, d. #2, and e. #3.

See paint file for an attempt at a diagram.

Homework Equations

q = C V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done parts a and b, but I don't know how to go from there.
I got Ceq = 3 x 10-6F
and q = 6 x 10-5 C
Once I have the equivalent capacitance, does that help me with parts c, d, and e? Or do I use the individual capactitances(and if so, with what q and V if I have to find both)?

Attachments

• circuit18.jpg
    circuit18.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would be happy to assist you with the remaining parts of your problem.

To answer your first question, yes, knowing the equivalent capacitance can help you with parts c, d, and e. This is because the equivalent capacitance represents the combined effect of all the capacitors in the circuit. So, to find the potential and charge on each individual capacitor, we can use the following equations:

c) V1 = q1/C1
d) V2 = q2/C2
e) V3 = q3/C3

Where V1, V2, and V3 represent the potential across each individual capacitor, and q1, q2, and q3 represent the charge on each individual capacitor.

To find the charge on each individual capacitor, we can use the fact that the total charge on the circuit must be equal to the sum of the charges on each individual capacitor. So, we can use the following equation:

q = q1 + q2 + q3

To find the potential across each individual capacitor, we can use the fact that the total potential across the circuit must also be equal to the sum of the potentials across each individual capacitor. So, we can use the following equation:

V = V1 + V2 + V3

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in Farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and materials of the system.

2. How is capacitance related to charge and potential?

Capacitance is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored in a system and inversely proportional to the potential difference across the system. This relationship is represented by the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is potential.

3. How does capacitance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Capacitance can affect the behavior of a circuit in multiple ways. It can act as a temporary storage for charge, smoothing out fluctuations in the current. It can also create a time delay in the response of the circuit to changes in the input signal.

4. How can capacitance be increased in a circuit?

Capacitance can be increased by adding more capacitors in parallel or by using materials with higher dielectric constants. Changing the geometry of the system, such as increasing the distance between the plates of a capacitor, can also increase capacitance.

5. How is capacitance measured?

Capacitance can be measured using a device called a capacitor meter. This device applies a known voltage to the capacitor and measures the resulting charge on the plates. The capacitance can then be calculated using the equation C = Q/V.