Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N

In summary, to move the large crate with a mass of 32 kg across a rough floor, a force of 64.12 Newtons is necessary at an angle of 21°, taking into account the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor. The force must be resolved into x and y components in order to accurately calculate the necessary force.
Pencil
To move a large crate across a rough floor, you push down on it at an angle of 21°. Find the force necessary to start the crate moving, given that the mass of the crate is m = 32 kg and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor is 0.57.

N=mg=(32)(9.81)= 313.92 * coefficaint of mew sub s=.57=178.9
Ok, I think I did that right...only I'm not sure what to do with the 21° angle. I did 178.9cos(21)=167.0 but that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a diagram with the applied force resolved into x and y components? (BTW, that's where the angle comes in)
Because in this case, N does not equal mg.

Like this?
Ny=N
Fky=0
Wy=-mgsin(21
Nx=0
Fkx=-mewk
Wx=0
I did Fk=mewkN=.57*(mgsin(21)=.57*112.5=64.12 I did somthing wrong...again...but I don't know what...

where's the force of the push? It has both an x and a y component.
But yeah, that's the sort of chart I had in mind. :grin:

1. What is the meaning of "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N"?

The phrase "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" refers to the amount of force required to overcome the static friction and initiate the motion of a crate with a mass of 167 kilograms.

2. How is the "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" calculated?

The "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" is calculated using the formula F=μsN, where F is the force, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the crate.

3. What factors affect the "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N"?

The "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" is affected by the mass of the crate, the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the surface it is resting on, and the normal force exerted on the crate.

4. Why is it important to know the "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N"?

Knowing the "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" is important for ensuring that enough force is applied to overcome the static friction and initiate the motion of the crate. It can also help in determining the appropriate equipment or technique needed to move the crate.

5. How does the "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" differ from the "Force Required to Keep Moving Crate"?

The "Force Necessary to Start Moving Crate: 167 N" refers to the amount of force needed to initiate the motion of a stationary crate, while the "Force Required to Keep Moving Crate" refers to the amount of force needed to maintain the motion of a crate that is already in motion. The latter may be lower than the former due to the decrease in static friction once the crate is in motion.