Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, a horizontal force of 150 N is used to push a 50.0 kg packing crate a distance of 5.00 m on a rough horizontal surface. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2. To calculate the work done by the force, the equation W=Fdcostheta is used, resulting in a value of 750J. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, the equation Ff=muFn is used, with Fn being equal to the force of gravity. However, since the crate is moving with constant velocity, the force of friction must be equal and opposite to the pushing force. This results in a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.3.
Beanie

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 150 N is used to push a 50.0 kg packing crate a distance of 5.00 m on a rough horizontal surface.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .

If the crate moves with constant velocity, calculate:
a) the work done by the force. Answer in units of J.
b) the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

W=Fdcostheta
Ff=muFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a right. However I am struggling for part B. Here is my work for both parts...

a) W=fdcostheta
W=(150)(5)cos(0)
W=750J

b) Ff=muFn

Fn=Fg
Fn= 50*9.81=490.5N
Ff=0 because there is constant velocity. Therefore, mu=0.

This answer is wrong. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beanie said:
b) Ff=muFn

Fn=Fg
Fn= 50*9.81=490.5N
Ff=0 because there is constant velocity. Therefore, mu=0.

If the velocity is constant and the force to keep it constant is 150 N, what's the force the crate is affected by the roughness of the surface?

stockzahn said:
If the velocity is constant and the force to keep it constant is 150 N, what's the force the crate is affected by the roughness of the surface?

The normal force/force of gravity?

The force of gravity has a vertical direction. You are looking for a force in horizontal direction. So in horizontal direction: No change of velocity (so no acceleration as you already indicated in your first post). But you push with 150 N, what does that mean for other horizontal forces and what kind of force affects an object that is pushed over a rough surface?

stockzahn said:
The force of gravity has a vertical direction. You are looking for a force in horizontal direction. So in horizontal direction: No change of velocity (so no acceleration as you already indicated in your first post). But you push with 150 N, what does that mean for other horizontal forces and what kind of force affects an object that is pushed over a rough surface?

Right, okay. So, in the horizontal direction, the force of friction and the force of the push (150N) are both affecting the object. They are also in opposite directions. I drew a FBD for it (attached file), however I am still stuck on how you calculate the Force of Friction.

Attachments

• Photo on 10-12-15 at 10.49 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 10-12-15 at 10.49 AM #2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 348
Beanie said:
Right, okay. So, in the horizontal direction, the force of friction and the force of the push (150N) are both affecting the object. They are also in opposite directions. I drew a FBD for it (attached file), however I am still stuck on how you calculate the Force of Friction.

The forces in vertical directions are correct, but if the forces in horizontal direction would be of the kind you drew, the object would accelerate as the pushing force is larger, than the friction force... If you find the right relation between pushing und friction force you promptly will have the answer to the original question.

stockzahn said:
The forces in vertical directions are correct, but if the forces in horizontal direction would be of the kind you drew, the object would accelerate as the pushing force is larger, than the friction force... If you find the right relation between pushing und friction force you promptly will have the answer to the original question.

Thank you for the help! This makes a lot of sense now!

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined by measuring the slope of a graph of frictional force versus normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the type of materials in contact, the surface roughness, and the presence of any lubricants. It also depends on the normal force and the relative speed between the two surfaces.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are already in motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is usually lower than the coefficient of static friction.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by using a lubricant between the two surfaces, increasing the surface smoothness, or reducing the normal force. It can also be minimized by using materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or graphite.