Finding a Basis for the Orthogonal Complement of W

In summary: The orthogonal complement of W is span{(1, -4, 0)}.In summary, to find the orthogonal complement of a subspace W spanned by two vectors v1 and v2, you can use the cross product of the two vectors. In this case, the orthogonal complement of W is span{(1, -4, 0)}.
madglover

Homework Statement

Let W be the subspace of R^3 spanned by the vectors
v1=[2,1,-2] and v2=[4,0,1]
Find a basis for the orthogonal complement of W

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this question except for the fact when i get the matrix in form

[2,1,-2/0
4,0,1/0]

i get to this bit but saying the complement is equal to (col(A))=null(A^T)

i can't perform reduced matrix stuff when there is not an odd number at the front i just can't do it can someone start of the next step for me? if so i can do the rest of the question

it is a resit i have tomorrow and we were told today that this question is in it, so it is worth a lot for me to know it by then

Physics news on Phys.org
for example if someone could show me even how to reduce

[4,3
2,1]
i would be fine

i just don't understand how it is done

ooo i might have it i just read that i can interchange rows if so i am fine as i can let it become

1,-2,2/0
0,1,4/0

which i can easily reduce :D

grrr rows not columns

You don't even have to perform row reduction. It is apparent by inspection that v1 and v2 are linearly independent (one is not a multiple of the other). So what you need to do is to find an orthogonal basis for W using a well known algorithm, and use a vector operation to find the vector orthogonal to both of them.

ok i am very confused now i have the basis

span{0,4,1}

is that right i managed to reduce it i think to
1 0 0/0
0 1 -4/0

Defennder said:
You don't even have to perform row reduction. It is apparent by inspection that v1 and v2 are linearly independent (one is not a multiple of the other). So what you need to do is to find an orthogonal basis for W using a well known algorithm, and use a vector operation to find the vector orthogonal to both of them.

well now i am worse for wear, how would i do that? i thought the only way to find the complement to W is to use row reduction

The cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both and so spans the subspace (in R3) orthogonal to the subspace spanned by the two vectors.

Oh wait, you don't even need to find an orthogonal basis for W. The cross product would do. Silly me.

1. What is the definition of the orthogonal complement of W?

The orthogonal complement of W is the set of all vectors that are perpendicular to every vector in W. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to the subspace W.

2. Why is finding a basis for the orthogonal complement of W important?

Finding a basis for the orthogonal complement of W is important because it allows us to find a set of vectors that span the entire subspace that is orthogonal to W. This can be useful in solving systems of equations and in various applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you find a basis for the orthogonal complement of W?

To find a basis for the orthogonal complement of W, we first need to find a basis for W. Then, we use the Gram-Schmidt process to find a set of orthogonal vectors that span W. Finally, we take the remaining vectors (those that were not used in the Gram-Schmidt process) and normalize them to create a basis for the orthogonal complement of W.

4. What is the dimension of the orthogonal complement of W?

The dimension of the orthogonal complement of W is equal to the dimension of the original vector space minus the dimension of W. In other words, if the original vector space has a dimension of n and W has a dimension of m, then the dimension of the orthogonal complement of W is n-m.

5. Can the orthogonal complement of W be empty?

Yes, the orthogonal complement of W can be empty if W is the entire vector space. In this case, there are no vectors that are orthogonal to every vector in W, so the orthogonal complement is empty. However, if W is a proper subspace (meaning it is not the entire vector space), then the orthogonal complement will always have a non-empty basis.