Proof using Rule of Signs

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: That would make (b^2)-(a^2)<0. But I don't know how that helps.In summary, in an ordered ring, if a and b are both positive, then a is greater than b if and only if a squared is greater than b squared. This can be shown using the hint provided, [(b^2)-(a^2)] = (b-a)(b+a), and the rule of signs, which states that positive multiplied by negative is negative. The proof involves showing two parts: 1) if a>b, then a squared is greater than b squared, and 2) if a squared is greater than b squared, then a>b.
fk378

Homework Statement

In an ordered ring, show that
If a>0, b>0, then a>b <--> (a^2)>(b^2).

Hint: [(b^2)-(a^2)] = (b-a)(b+a). Use Rule of Signs.

Homework Equations

Rule of Signs?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use the hint and I'm having trouble with the proof, as this is my first proofs class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we know that both a and b must be positive value
Therefore, if we take square root on both side of equation (a^2) > (b^2).
it would make a > b always. Would this work?

Are you asking me? That looks like it would work for me but I don't know if it is sufficient enough in "proof language."

Also, the hint isn't being used in your answer...

Because this is "if and only if" you need to show two things:

1) If a> b then a2> b2. Since this is an ordered ring, the fact that a> b and a> 0 tells you that a*a> a*b (why?); now do the same with a> b and b> 0.

2) if a2> b2 then a> b. Okay, a2> b2 tells you that (a+ b)(a-b)> 0. What do the "signs" of a+ b and a- b have to be? I put "signs" in quotes because you cannot just assume facts from real numbers. You are working in an arbitrary ordered ring and you have to use the axioms and definitions for an order ring. In particular, a is "positive" if and only if a> 0. Since you are given that a> 0 and b>0, can you show that a+b> 0? What does that tell you about a- b?

fk378 said:

Homework Statement

In an ordered ring, show that
If a>0, b>0, then a>b <--> (a^2)>(b^2).

Hint: [(b^2)-(a^2)] = (b-a)(b+a). Use Rule of Signs.

Homework Equations

Rule of Signs?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use the hint and I'm having trouble with the proof, as this is my first proofs class.

I think the 'rule of signs' just means positive*negative=negative. (b-a)<0 and (b+a)>0. So (b-a)*(b+a)<0.

What is the Rule of Signs in proof?

The Rule of Signs is a mathematical rule used to determine the number of positive and negative roots in a polynomial equation. It is based on the signs of the coefficients of the terms in the equation.

How does the Rule of Signs work?

The Rule of Signs states that the number of positive roots in a polynomial equation is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients, or is less than that by an even number. The number of negative roots is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients of the terms with powers of x that have a degree less than the degree of the polynomial, or is less than that by an even number.

What are the steps for using the Rule of Signs in proof?

The steps for using the Rule of Signs in proof are:
1. Arrange the polynomial equation in descending order of powers.
2. Count the number of sign changes in the coefficients of the terms.
3. Determine the number of positive roots by the number of sign changes.
4. Determine the number of negative roots by the number of sign changes in the terms with powers of x that have a degree less than the degree of the polynomial.
5. Use these numbers to make a conclusion about the number of real roots in the polynomial equation.

Can the Rule of Signs be used for all polynomial equations?

No, the Rule of Signs can only be used for polynomial equations with real coefficients. It also cannot be used for equations with complex roots or repeated roots.

What is the significance of the Rule of Signs in proof?

The Rule of Signs is significant in proof because it provides a quick and easy way to determine the number of real roots in a polynomial equation. This can be useful in solving equations and graphing polynomial functions.