Limits of exponential functions

In summary, when finding the limit as x approaches infinity of (3^n/2^n), it can be simplified to (3/2)^n which clearly increases without bound as x increases. Alternatively, using the "hard way" method, it can be shown that the limit is equal to ln(0) which is undefined and not equal to infinity. Therefore, the limit is equal to infinity and not 0.
bodensee9
Hi,

can I do the following?

If I am asked to find as lim x -> inf of (3^n/2^n), can I do:

3^n = e^(n*ln3)
2^n = e^(n*ln2)

assume C = lim (3^n/2^n).

C = lim e^(n*ln3)/e^(n*ln2)
ln C = lim ln [(exp(n*ln3)/(exp(n*ln2)]
In C = lim ln(exp(n*ln3)) - ln(exp(n*ln2))
ln C = lim n*ln3 - n*ln2
ln C = lim n*(ln3 - ln2)

The right hand side is clearly inf, and hence ln C = inf, which would mean that C = inf?
Though wouldn't C = 0 also give you infinity? So how would I know which one it is?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ln(0) isn't infinity. It's undefined. n*(ln3-ln2) is clearly unbounded. So C=exp(n*(ln3-ln2)) is unbounded.

Thanks!

bodensee9 said:
Hi,

can I do the following?

If I am asked to find as lim x -> inf of (3^n/2^n), can I do:

3^n = e^(n*ln3)
2^n = e^(n*ln2)

assume C = lim (3^n/2^n).

C = lim e^(n*ln3)/e^(n*ln2)
ln C = lim ln [(exp(n*ln3)/(exp(n*ln2)]
In C = lim ln(exp(n*ln3)) - ln(exp(n*ln2))
ln C = lim n*ln3 - n*ln2
ln C = lim n*(ln3 - ln2)

The right hand side is clearly inf, and hence ln C = inf, which would mean that C = inf?
Though wouldn't C = 0 also give you infinity? So how would I know which one it is?

Thanks.
Why do it that way?
[tex]\frac{3^n}{2^n}= \left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
and that, since 3/2> 1, clearly increases without bound as x increases.

On the other hand,
[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}= \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]
since 2/3< 1, clearly goes to 0.

Doing it the "hard way", if y= 2n/3n, then ln(y)= ln(2n)- ln(3n)= n(ln(2)- ln(3)). ln(2)- ln(3) is negative so, as n goes to infinity, n(ln(2)- ln(3)) goes to negative infinity and, as Dick said, ln(0)= negative infinity.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It is of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants. Exponential functions are commonly used to model growth and decay phenomena.

2. What are the key properties of exponential functions?

The key properties of exponential functions include their rapid growth or decay, their increasing or decreasing nature depending on the value of the base, and the fact that they never reach zero or infinity.

3. What are the limits of exponential functions?

The limits of exponential functions depend on the value of the base. If the base is greater than 1, the function will approach infinity as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the base is between 0 and 1, the function will approach 0 as x approaches infinity. If the base is equal to 1, the function will remain constant at 1 regardless of the value of x.

4. How do you find the limit of an exponential function?

To find the limit of an exponential function, you can use the rules of limits. For example, if the function is of the form f(x) = ab^x, the limit as x approaches infinity is equal to infinity if b > 1, 0 if 0 < b < 1, and 1 if b = 1.

5. What are some real-world applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions are commonly used in finance, biology, and physics to model various phenomena. Some examples include compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in data analysis and forecasting in fields such as economics and meteorology.