Polyethene used extensively in polyethene bags

• Thread starter grey
  • Start date
In summary, in chemistry we learned that polyethene is a thermosetting plastic commonly used in polyethene bags. This means that its shape can be changed by the application of heat. However, if heat is applied in the absence of oxygen and rigid materials like aluminum bars are added, the resulting material would have a mix of plastic and aluminum strength at lower temperatures and would have the structural strength of taffy with aluminum reinforcement at elevated temperatures.
grey
in chemistry we studied that polyethene used extensively in polyethene bags in our country is a type of a thermosetting plastic...that is, its shapes etc can be changed by the application of heat

now as materials is not my main subject area, i have no idea about this...but i was wondering that if we apply heat to it (in the absense of oxygen of course), and put some rigid material like aluminum bars in it, can we can a rigid, and relatively strong material?

Engineering news on Phys.org

grey said:
in chemistry we studied that polyethene used extensively in polyethene bags in our country is a type of a thermosetting plastic...that is, its shapes etc can be changed by the application of heat

Ummm, that would be a thermoplastic material.

now as materials is not my main subject area, i have no idea about this...but i was wondering that if we apply heat to it (in the absense of oxygen of course), and put some rigid material like aluminum bars in it, can we can a rigid, and relatively strong material?

Yes and no. At lower temperatures it would have the strength of the plastic in some modes of deformation and of aluminum in other modes of deformation. At elevated temperature it would have all of the structural strength of taffy with aluminum (bars?) reinforcement.

I can confirm that polyethene, also known as polyethylene, is indeed a type of thermosetting plastic. This means that its shape and properties can be changed by the application of heat. Polyethene is widely used in the production of polyethene bags due to its low cost, durability, and water resistance.

In regards to your question about using heat and rigid materials such as aluminum bars to create a stronger material, it is possible in theory. However, the exact process and materials used would need to be carefully researched and tested in a controlled environment to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the final product. Additionally, there may be other factors to consider such as the type and grade of polyethene used, the temperature and duration of heat application, and the compatibility of the materials used with the polyethene. As a scientist, it is important to thoroughly investigate and experiment before making any conclusions or claims about the potential of a new material.

What is polyethene?

Polyethene is a type of plastic that is commonly used in the production of various products, including polyethene bags. It is made from ethylene, a natural gas, through a polymerization process.

Why is polyethene used extensively in polyethene bags?

Polyethene is used in polyethene bags because it is a lightweight, durable, and inexpensive material. It can easily be produced in large quantities, making it a popular choice for manufacturers of polyethene bags.

Is polyethene safe to use in polyethene bags?

Yes, polyethene is generally considered safe for use in polyethene bags. It is non-toxic and does not leach chemicals into food or other products stored in polyethene bags. However, it is important to properly dispose of polyethene bags to prevent harm to the environment.

What are the environmental impacts of using polyethene in polyethene bags?

Polyethene bags have a significant environmental impact, as they are not biodegradable and can take hundreds of years to decompose. They also contribute to pollution and harm to wildlife when not properly disposed of. However, efforts are being made to reduce the use of polyethene bags and promote more sustainable alternatives.

Are there any alternatives to using polyethene bags?

Yes, there are alternatives to using polyethene bags, such as reusable cloth bags or paper bags. These alternatives are more environmentally friendly and can help reduce the amount of plastic waste in our landfills and oceans.