Characteristic polynomial for nilpotent matrix.

In summary, the problem is to prove that the characteristic polynomial of a matrix A is p(x)=x^n, where n is the dimension of A. This can be shown using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that A^n + ... + det(A)=0 for any matrix A. We must also show that A is nilpotent, meaning A^k=0 for some k, and that all eigenvalues of A satisfy \lambda^n=0. This can be done by assuming p(A) is not x^n and showing a contradiction.
anastasis

Homework Statement

How do I show that the cp is p(x)=x^n, dimA=n?

Homework Equations

A^k=0 for some k (obviously need to show k=n); p(A)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

p(A)=0 <=> A^n + ... + det(A)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I show that the cp of A is p(x)=x^n, dimA=n?

This is a trivial consequence of Cayley-Hamilton.

i see that p(A)=0 and that p(A)=A^n +...+det(A) BUT I'm still a bit confused by some details. A is nilpotent <=> A^k=0 ... must show k=n for one thing.

anastasis said:
i see that p(A)=0 and that p(A)=A^n +...+det(A) BUT I'm still a bit confused by some details. A is nilpotent <=> A^k=0 ... must show k=n for one thing.

Suppose p(A) is not xn. Then it is some nontrivial (not xn) polynomial of degree n, which implies A satisfies said polynomial. Show that this leads to a contradiction.

Suppose [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of A: that is, [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex] for some non-zero vector v. Then [itex]A^2v= \lamba Av= \lambda^2 v[/itex] and, continuing like that [itex]A^n v= \lambda^n v[/itex]= 0[/itex]. Actually, that proves that all eigenvalues are 0 but what you need is that all eigenvalues satisfy [itex]\lambda^n= 0[/itex].

This was also posted under "Mathematics- Abstract and Linear Algebra". I have merged the threads here.

I am almost always tempted to correct the theorem statement as

"... satisfies the matrix version of the characteristic polynomial"

since the right hand side zeros of the the two cases are different objects. But it is a technical puristic bla bla. I know!

What is a characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix?

A characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix is a polynomial equation whose roots are the eigenvalues of the matrix. It is used to determine the eigenvalues and the diagonalizability of the matrix.

How is a characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix calculated?

The characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix is calculated by taking the determinant of the matrix (A-λI), where A is the matrix and λ is an indeterminate. This will result in a polynomial with degree n, where n is the size of the matrix.

What is the relationship between the degree of the characteristic polynomial and the size of the matrix?

The degree of the characteristic polynomial is equal to the size of the matrix. This means that for a 3x3 matrix, the characteristic polynomial will be of degree 3, and for a 4x4 matrix, the characteristic polynomial will be of degree 4.

Can a nilpotent matrix have multiple characteristic polynomials?

No, a nilpotent matrix can only have one characteristic polynomial. This is because the characteristic polynomial is determined by the matrix itself and its size, and a matrix cannot have two different sizes.

How can the characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix be used in practical applications?

The characteristic polynomial for a nilpotent matrix can be used in various applications, such as in linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. It is used to determine the eigenvalues and diagonalizability of a matrix, which can provide important information about the behavior and properties of a system.