Using coefficients of static and kinetic friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a box of textbooks on a loading ramp with a mass of 24.6 kg, an angle of theta, and coefficients of kinetic and static friction. The minimum angle needed for the box to start slipping is calculated to be 19.29°. Once the box begins to move, the acceleration is found to be 1.109 m/s^2. After sliding a distance of 5.3 m, the box is determined to have a velocity of 3.4 m/s. It is important to use the appropriate friction coefficient depending on the motion of the box.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

A box of textbooks of mass 24.6 kg rests on a loading ramp that makes an angle theta with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.23 and the coefficient of static friction is 0.35.

A. As the angle theta is increased, find the minimum angle at which the box starts to slip.

B. At this angle, find the acceleration once the box has begun to move.

C. At this angle, how fast will the box be moving after it has slid a distance 5.3 m along the loading ramp?

Homework Equations

kinematics(for x-motion)

mgsinθ = ks*mgcosθ

F=mgsinθ-k*mgcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

A. 24.6*9.80sinθ=0.35*24.6*9.80cosθ

241.08sinθ=84.378cosθ

tan^-1 = 19.29°

B. F=(24.6)(9.80)sinθ-0.23(24.6)(9.80)cosθ

F=241.08sinθ-55.4484cosθ

F=27.305 N

27.305/24.6 = 1.109 m/s^2

C. 5.3= .5(1.109)t^2

3.09 = t

then, 0+ (1.109)(3.09) = 3.4 m/s

I have no idea is this is right or not. I'm not sure if I should have used 0.23 or 0.35 for part A but I'm assuming static(0.35) because that is what it needs to "start" moving. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me, at first hand, that you've done everything accurately, though abit cumbersome in my view.
You were absolutely right to use the static friction coefficient as long as the box was still quasi-stationary(on the "brink") so to speak, but, once it got rolling, the application of Kinetic factors is essential.
Following the algebra is trivial and a trifle, and from my perspective, the physics is a-okay.
Good job!
Daniel
P.S
I might first help to etch out the formulae via signs and symbols, and plug in only at the end of the process; Saves unit hassles and possible sign/truncation errors.

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction coefficients?

Static friction coefficient refers to the amount of force required to overcome the initial resistance between two surfaces at rest, while kinetic friction coefficient refers to the amount of force required to keep two surfaces in motion. In other words, static friction is higher than kinetic friction.

2. How do you calculate the coefficients of static and kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between two surfaces. The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficients of static and kinetic friction?

The coefficients of static and kinetic friction can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the smoothness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the force applied. Additionally, temperature, humidity, and surface area can also affect these coefficients.

4. How do the coefficients of static and kinetic friction affect an object's motion?

The coefficients of static and kinetic friction determine the amount of force needed to move an object or keep it in motion. The higher the coefficients, the more difficult it is to move or keep an object in motion.

5. Can the coefficients of static and kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficients of static and kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater force is needed to overcome the resistance between two surfaces. However, the coefficient of friction can never be less than 0, as this would mean there is no friction between the two surfaces.