What elements of Gen. Chemistry I are important in II

In summary, the important elements of Gen. Chemistry I for II include balancing, limited reactions, and stoichiometry, especially for equilibrium problems involving gases. Other important topics include colligative properties, kinetics, thermodynamics, and electrochemistry. While molecular orbital theory and crystalline structure may not be stressed as much, they are still essential for understanding organic chemistry. Gen. Chemistry I is considered the most important chemistry class as it provides the foundation for more advanced classes in inorganic and physical chemistry. For a physics major, knowledge of thermodynamics, quantum theory, and energy levels covered in Gen. Chemistry I will be useful in higher level courses. Nomenclature is also highlighted as the most crucial concept to know for success in Gen. Chemistry
relativitydude
What elements of Gen. Chemistry I are important in II

Besides balancing, limited reactions, etc...what will I reallly really need for II?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Normally in the second semester you study colligative properties, equilibrium, kinetics, thermodynamics and electrochemistry.

Stoichiometry like you mentioned is pretty important, as is basic thermodynamics. Often when you get the equilibrium problems involving gases, you will need a good background in the gas laws. I really can't think of anything that's not important. Perhaps molecular orbital theory isn't stressed so much, but you really need this in organic so don't think its unimportant. Crystalline structure (SC, FCC, BCC, etc.) also isn't used much.

honestly I have to say Gen chem is the most important chem class you'll ever take. It provides the foundation for classes in inorganic and physical chemistry. You will see many of the concept taught in gen chem again if you decide to take more upper level chemistry.

Well, I'm a physics major...so beyond chemistry 2 I won't see it again I presume.

You will definitely see thermodynamics again if you are a physics major. Also, quantum theory, quantum #'s , energy levels, etc. are all covered in gen chem. which I am also positive you will see again. General chemistry=PHYSICAL chemistry jr. basically. Noticed how I stressed physical. P chem is just really sort of like chemical physics.

Gen chem II should be a bit more advanced than I, I would have taken principles of chemistry I rather than gen chem II.

You'll need everything required of Gen Chem I and more...

The single most important thing that you have to know is the very first thing you learn: nomenclature. You'll get nowhere without it.

1. What are the key concepts from General Chemistry I that are important for General Chemistry II?

The key concepts from General Chemistry I that are important for General Chemistry II include atomic structure, periodic trends, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, and gas laws. These concepts provide a foundation for understanding more complex topics in General Chemistry II.

2. How does General Chemistry II build upon the material covered in General Chemistry I?

General Chemistry II builds upon the material covered in General Chemistry I by delving deeper into the topics previously introduced. For example, in General Chemistry I, students learn about atomic structure, while in General Chemistry II, they learn about electron configurations and atomic orbitals.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of General Chemistry I to succeed in General Chemistry II?

Yes, a strong understanding of General Chemistry I is necessary to succeed in General Chemistry II. The concepts and principles covered in General Chemistry I serve as a foundation for the more advanced topics in General Chemistry II.

4. Are there any specific topics from General Chemistry I that are particularly important for General Chemistry II?

Some specific topics from General Chemistry I that are particularly important for General Chemistry II include balancing chemical equations, calculating molar masses, and understanding the periodic table. These topics are frequently used in more complex calculations and concepts in General Chemistry II.

5. How can I review and reinforce my understanding of General Chemistry I concepts before starting General Chemistry II?

There are several ways to review and reinforce your understanding of General Chemistry I concepts before starting General Chemistry II. You can review your notes and textbook, practice problems and quizzes, or seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups. It may also be helpful to consult with your General Chemistry I instructor for any recommended review materials.