Linear Independence in R-Vector Space and Z_2

In summary, the conversation discusses the linear independence of vector sums in an R-vector space and how it differs when R is replaced by Z_2. It is pointed out that the statement holds true for all fields except for those with characteristic 2. The conversation also touches on the concept of fields and how changing the field can affect the properties of a vector space.
Treadstone 71
If a,b,c are vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent. If R is replaced by Z_2 then this fails, because there's the nontrivial solution to

x(a+b)+y(a+c)+z(b+c)=0

where x=y=z=0 or x=y=z=1

right?

Physics news on Phys.org
x(a+b)+y(a+c)+z(b+c)=0 implies that (x+y)a+(x+z)b+(y+z)c=0 so put X=x+y, Y=x+z, and Z=y+z to yield Xa+Yb+Zc=0, which has only the trivial solution as a, b, and c are linearly independent.

I don't get what is meant by Z_2, an integer lattice?

No, the field with two elements, so 1+1=0, so of course (x+y)+(y+z)+(z+x)=0 so the three vectors are linearly dependent irrespective of whether x,y,z are.

As worded this makes no sense!
"If a,b,c are vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent."
No, that's not true. For example is a= b= c= <1, 0, 0> then a+ b= <2, 0, 0>, a+ c= <2, 0, 0> and b+ c= <2, 0, 0>. Of course, the word "also" in the conclusion indicates that you intended to say:
"If a,b,c are independent vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent." which is true.

Strictly speaking, you can't say just "If R is replaced by Z_2" (the integers modulo 2) since that could not be a vector space- it would be a "module". However, your statement is correct: even if a, b, c are independent if the module over Z_2, then a+b, b+c, and a+c are not independent.

Shear non-sense!: As JasonRox pointed out Z_2 is a field (of characteristic 2) not an integral domain so this really is a vector space!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
As worded this makes no sense!
"If a,b,c are vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent."
No, that's not true. For example is a= b= c= <1, 0, 0> then a+ b= <2, 0, 0>, a+ c= <2, 0, 0> and b+ c= <2, 0, 0>. Of course, the word "also" in the conclusion indicates that you intended to say:
"If a,b,c are independent vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent." which is true.
Strictly speaking, you can't say just "If R is replaced by Z_2" (the integers modulo 2) since that could not be a vector space- it would be a "module". However, your statement is correct: even if a, b, c are independent if the module over Z_2, then a+b, b+c, and a+c are not independent.

The statement is true for all fields except for those fields that are of characteristic equal to two.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, the word "also" in the conclusion indicates that you intended to say:

Yes, that was I intended to say.

HallsofIvy said:
Shear non-sense!: As JasonRox pointed out Z_2 is a field (of characteristic 2) not an integral domain so this really is a vector space!

I have no idea what you are talking about. Z_2 and R are both fields as far as I know, and vector spaces are defined over fields.

Yes, re-read my post. I edited it to admit that I was wrong after JaxonRox pointed it out to me.

Treadstone 71 said:
Yes, that was I intended to say.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Z_2 and R are both fields as far as I know, and vector spaces are defined over fields.

Yes, they are both fields, but that doesn't mean you can just replace R with Z_2 to create another vector space with the same properties.

Maybe the following will show how the "simplest" things change when you change fields.

The dimension for the vector space R over the field R is what?

Now, what is the dimension for the vector space R over the field Q (Rationals)?

Completely different answers.

The statement you said is true for all vector spaces except those who are over fields of characteristic 2. Sure it fails for a particular field, but that doesn't mean the statement isn't true.

Excellent. Got it.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a set of vectors that can be added and multiplied by scalars to produce new vectors. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and can be represented by an n-dimensional coordinate system.

2. What is linear independence in a vector space?

Linear independence in a vector space refers to a set of vectors that cannot be written as a linear combination of other vectors in the same space. In other words, the vectors are not dependent on each other and each one contributes a unique direction to the vector space.

3. How is linear independence determined in R-vector space?

In R-vector space, linear independence is determined by solving a system of linear equations. If the only solution to the system is the trivial solution (all coefficients equal to 0), then the vectors are linearly independent. If there exists a non-trivial solution, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

4. What is Z2 in relation to linear independence?

Z2 refers to a finite field with two elements, 0 and 1. In the context of linear independence, it is used to represent the scalars used to multiply vectors in the vector space. In Z2, the only possible scalars are 0 and 1, which makes it a binary system.

5. How is linear independence useful in real-world applications?

Linear independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and has many real-world applications. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics to model and solve various problems. For example, in physics, linear independence is used to represent the fundamental laws of motion and to analyze the behavior of complex systems.