Understanding a RL - RC circuit

In summary, the impedance will be purely resistive when there is no imaginary component, and the capacitive and inductive impedances will be equal.
null_null_
I´m trying to understand a circuit that is build like this:

----###R1###---###C###----
###---------###----------###
-----###L###---###R2###---

How am I supposed to find what frequency (not f=0) the impedance is pure resistive?

What I´ve read has it something to do with the resonant frequency. Is that correct?

And the last question is how big are the impedance when that happens?

I´m totaly lost in this jungle.

Thanks in advance!

//Null_Null

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, nul_nul_

It's a little hard to interpret the circuit drawn like that. Would it be possible for you to draw it in Paint or Visio or something, and save it as a JPEG and upload it as an attachment?

Also, do you know a bit yet about how to express the impedances as complex quantities, and add them using the regular series and parallel combination rules?

Thank you!

Yes, I see that now. So I´ve made up one with my Paint skills :rofl:

I know a bit about that. So we say we have the values of L = 5 mH, C = 22 uF, R1 = 300 ohm and R2 = 500 ohm. Then the R1 is 300 L 0 degrees, R2=500 L 0 degrees (L=Phasor) and the X(L)=2(pi)fL and phasor 90 degrees, X(C)=1/(2(pi)fC) and phasor -90 degrees.

Is this a good start and how about the frequency?

Appreciate your help!

//Null_null

Attachments

• pf.JPG
    pf.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 436
null_null_ said:
Thank you!

Yes, I see that now. So I´ve made up one with my Paint skills :rofl:

I know a bit about that. So we say we have the values of L = 5 mH, C = 22 uF, R1 = 300 ohm and R2 = 500 ohm. Then the R1 is 300 L 0 degrees, R2=500 L 0 degrees (L=Phasor) and the X(L)=2(pi)fL and phasor 90 degrees, X(C)=1/(2(pi)fC) and phasor -90 degrees.

Is this a good start and how about the frequency?

Appreciate your help!

//Null_null

Yes, that's an excellent start. Now use parallel and series combination rules to come up with one equation for the impedance across the whole circuit. It will be a complex equation, with real and imaginary parts that depend on frequency.

EDIT -- And remember that the impedance will look "purely resistive" when there is no imaginary impedance, right? What can you say about the relative magnitudes of the capacitive (-j) and inductive (+j) impedances when this condition is met?

1. What is a RL - RC circuit?

A RL - RC circuit is a type of electric circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L), as well as a capacitor (C). It is a combination of a series RL circuit and a parallel RC circuit.

2. How does a RL - RC circuit work?

In a RL - RC circuit, the inductor and capacitor act as energy storage devices. When a voltage is applied, the inductor initially resists the change in current, while the capacitor allows it to flow. As time passes, the inductor's resistance decreases, and the capacitor's resistance increases, resulting in a gradual decrease in the current.

3. What is the purpose of a RL - RC circuit?

RL - RC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to filter out unwanted frequencies. They can also be used in oscillators and timing circuits, as well as in power supplies to regulate voltage.

4. What is the difference between a RL - RC circuit and a pure RL or RC circuit?

A pure RL or RC circuit contains only one type of component (resistor and inductor for RL, and resistor and capacitor for RC), while a RL - RC circuit combines both types of components. Additionally, the behavior of a RL - RC circuit is a combination of both a series RL circuit and a parallel RC circuit.

5. How can I calculate the time constant for a RL - RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) for a RL - RC circuit can be calculated using the formula τ = RLC, where R is the resistance in ohms, L is the inductance in henrys, and C is the capacitance in farads.