Problem with finding time from projectile motion problem

In summary, the projectile will take 10.38 seconds to hit the ground when fired from a cliff 125m off the ground at an angle of 37° from the horizontal at a velocity of 65 m/s. The mistake in the calculation was not taking into account the vertical component of the acceleration due to gravity and using the wrong velocity value due to a calculator being set to radians instead of degrees.
coneheadceo

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired from a cliff 125m off the ground at 37° from the horizontal at 65 m/s. How long will it take to hit the ground?

Homework Equations

y= yo+(Vyo)(t) - 1/2(g)(t^2)
quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

substituting in equation...

(-125m)= 0 + (65m/s)(t) - 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2)

(4.9 m/s^2)(t^2)- 65 m/s (t) -125m =0

rewrite in quadratic to solve for t

t=((65 m/s) +/- √((65)^2-4(4.9 m/s^2)(125)))/ 2(4.9m.s^2)

t = 10.9 s

answer in back of book is 10.4 s

not sure if using proper equation or totally missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi coneheadceo! welcome to pf! :smile:

erm :redface:

where's the 37° ? :wink:

Heyas Tim,

The 37° is the angle the projectile is fired at from the top of the cliff with respect to the horizontal.

yes i know! :smile:

but it's not in your equations! :wink:

So would I go for something like this...

To find the Vyo = (65 m/s)Sin 37 and Vxo = (65 m/s)Cos 37 instead of just using 65 m/s?

so then...
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)sin 37](t) - 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2) for the y component of time

and
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)cos 37](t) - 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2) for the x component of time?

Then do I just add them after using the quadratic for each?

coneheadceo said:
So would I go for something like this...

To find the Vyo = (65 m/s)Sin 37 and Vxo = (65 m/s)Cos 37 instead of just using 65 m/s?

yes :smile:
so then...
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)sin 37](t) - 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2) for the y component of time

yes :smile:
and
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)cos 37](t) - 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2) for the x component of time?

erm :redface:

what is the acceleration in the x direction? :wink:
Then do I just add them after using the quadratic for each?

hmm … draw a diagram, and then think

what do the x and y equations each tell you?​

So should my acceleration be (+) and I would end up with an equation...
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)cos 37](t) +1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2)

I drew a diagram and am at a loss for what each equation "should" be telling me.

coneheadceo said:
So should my acceleration be (+) and I would end up with an equation...
(-125m)= 0 + [(65m/s)cos 37](t) +1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(t^2)

I drew a diagram and am at a loss for what each equation "should" be telling me.

As tiny-tim already said, what's the acceleration in x direction? g acts vertically downwards, is their any component of g in the x direction?

Show us the diagram you have drawn.

coneheadceo said:
t=((65 m/s) +/- √((65)^2-4(4.9 m/s^2)(125)))/ 2(4.9m.s^2)

This is wrong. The time it takes for the projectile to land depends only in the y direction. Therefore, your equation should reflect only the motion of the projectile in the y direction. your velocity should therefore be 65sin(37°)m/s instead of simply 65m/s as you have here. This is the mistake which accounts for the error in your answer.
I worked it out using 65sin(37°)m/s as the velocity and got 10.38s for the time.

I'll have to recheck my math. Thank you for the correction swill777!

Nope... banging my head against the wall here... I'm missing something with my math.

HALLELUJAH!

Nevermind now people. Go back to drinking coffee as I needed a whole ton to realize...

my calculator was set for answers in RAD instead of DEG

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129164952429291808.jpg

Thank you for your patience and help!

Last edited by a moderator:
coneheadceo said:
HALLELUJAH!

Thank you for your patience and help!

It is always a good idea to enter sin(30) into your calculator before each set of calculations just to check it gives you 0.5 - indicating if it is actually set to degrees.

coneheadceo said:
HALLELUJAH!

Nevermind now people. Go back to drinking coffee as I needed a whole ton to realize...

Yup, the degree/radian mix up will get ya. I've had to make it a habit to check my setting every time I deal with trig. Glad you got the right answer, though!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What is the problem with finding time in a projectile motion problem?

The problem with finding time in a projectile motion problem is that the time taken for an object to travel through the air is constantly changing due to the influence of gravity, making it difficult to calculate a precise time.

3. How do you solve for time in a projectile motion problem?

To solve for time in a projectile motion problem, you can use the formula t = 2v/g, where t is time, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the time in a projectile motion problem?

The time in a projectile motion problem is affected by the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you find the time at any point in a projectile motion problem?

Yes, you can find the time at any point in a projectile motion problem by using the formula t = (2s/g)^0.5, where s is the displacement of the object from its initial position.