Electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses a conducting sphere with a total charge surrounded by a neutral conducting shell. The question is about finding the electric field in the region between the sphere and the shell. It is clarified that there is an electric field in that region and it can be solved using Gauss' law by choosing a surface and finding the enclosed charge.
Silversonic
I'm not entirely sure if this is meant to be in the "advanced physics" section, it's for my undergraduate degree anyway.

Homework Statement

A conducting sphere of radius R, carries a total charge of q. It is surrounded by an electrically neutral conducting shell with an inner radius, a, and outer radius, b.

[PLAIN]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7357/59847545.png

What is the electric field in the region R < r < a?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused on whether there is or isn't an electric field. I've already answered the question asking me to find the electric field for r < R and a < r < b as zero due to Gauss' law (the Gaussian surface requires and electric field of 0 to pass through it). But I'm confused about this one between the sphere and the conducting shell. I am pretty sure that there is an electric field (it's the region between positive and negative charges, why wouldn't there be?), but if there was, how would I calculate it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an electric field in that region and you'd solve it like any other Gauss's law problem. Pick your surface, find how much charge is enclosed.

What surface would you pick?

Feldoh said:
There is an electric field in that region and you'd solve it like any other Gauss's law problem. Pick your surface, find how much charge is enclosed.

What surface would you pick?

Understood, thanks :)

1. What is an electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity?

An electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity refers to the distribution of electric charges and their interactions within a conducting material that contains a hollow space or cavity.

2. How is the electric field affected by the presence of an internal cavity in a conductor?

The presence of an internal cavity in a conductor can significantly alter the electric field within the material. This is because the charges within the conductor will redistribute themselves in order to maintain equilibrium, resulting in a non-uniform electric field near the cavity.

3. What factors influence the strength of the electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity?

The strength of the electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity is influenced by a few key factors, including the size and shape of the cavity, the material of the conductor, and the distribution of charges within the conductor.

4. How does the shape of the internal cavity affect the electric field in a conductor?

The shape of the internal cavity can have a significant impact on the electric field in a conductor. For example, a spherical cavity will result in a more uniform electric field compared to a cylindrical or irregularly shaped cavity.

5. Can the electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field in a conductor with an internal cavity can be manipulated by changing the factors that influence its strength, such as the size and shape of the cavity or the distribution of charges within the conductor. This can be useful in applications such as capacitor design or electromagnetic shielding.