A problem from finite element book

In summary, you are trying to find a function v that makes the integral of w(x)v(x) dx be nonzero, but this is impossible because w does not equal 0.
ericm1234
..though I figure it's sort of an analysis type problem.
∫wvdx=0 (int from 0 to 1) for all v in V. w is continuous on [0,1]. What it means to be in V: v in V satisfies being continuous on [0,1], v(0)=v(1)=0, and derivatives of v are piecewise continuous .
Problem is:
Show that w(x)=0 for x in [0,1].

I have spent hours with this. The book I'm looking at describes a couple problems:
for u in V, u is a solution to -u''=f(x), u is also a solution to (u',v')=(f,v) and also a solution to
1/2(u',u')-(f,u) less than or equal to 1/2(v',v')-(f,v).

I have tried in many combinations to use this information, and this is the only given info in the chapter.

Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose ##w(x) \ne 0## somewhere in [0,1].

Now invent a function ##v(x)## such that ##\int_0^1 w(x)v(x)\,dx \ne 0##.

Hint: think how you could make ## w(x)v(x) \ge 0## everywhere in [0, 1].

Maybe you could elaborate a bit as my proof skills are not strong.
Youre saying assume w does not equal 0. But then why would we consider a single arbitrary v, when this condition must hold for all v?
Are you saying that, if we can find a v where the condition doesn't hold, then we have a contradiction?

In other words, is finding an arbitrary v that contradicts the given conditions really something that leads to the conclusion w must equal 0?

The theorem says that if ##\int_0^1 wv\,dx = 0## for every function ##v##, then ##w## must be 0.

Yes, I'm suggesting you prove this by contradition. Suppose ##w \ne 0## and the integral = 0 for every possible function ##v##. But you can show that for any given continuous nonzero function ##w##, you can find a function ##v## that makes the integral non-zero, so it is impossible that ##w \ne 0##.

thank you sir

so, wait: Please confirm this is a valid write up:
Suppose w does not equal 0. Then choose v=sin(x^2-x) (a negative function on [0,1] I just randomly came up with which satisfies being 0 at x=0 and x=1 and is continuous, with a continuous derivative, hence all that satisfies v in space V). Then if w<0 on [0,1], the integral is positive. If w>0 on [0,1], the integral is negative. This is a contradiction, so w must be 0.
Would this be a 'proper' proof?

Is that a valid approach? I lack analysis skills.

What is a problem from the finite element book?

A problem from the finite element book is a specific mathematical or engineering problem that is used as an example or exercise in a book on finite element analysis. Finite element analysis is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler elements.

What is the purpose of including a problem from the finite element book?

The purpose of including a problem from the finite element book is to demonstrate how to apply the finite element method to solve a real-world problem. It allows readers to practice and gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in finite element analysis.

Are the problems from the finite element book applicable to all fields of science?

Yes, the problems from the finite element book can be applied to a variety of fields in science and engineering. This method is commonly used in structural analysis, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics and engineering to model and solve complex problems.

Do I need to have prior knowledge of finite element analysis to understand the problems from the finite element book?

It is beneficial to have some basic understanding of finite element analysis before attempting the problems from the finite element book. However, many books provide a thorough explanation of the method and its applications, making it accessible to those with little or no prior knowledge.

Can the problems from the finite element book be solved using software?

Yes, many software programs are available that can assist in solving problems from the finite element book. These programs use the finite element method to solve complex problems and provide visualizations of the results. However, understanding the underlying principles and techniques is still essential for using these programs effectively.