Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,857
People have been living enough to be always cautious of possible risks caused by, uhm well, compliments.
Cheers! :D

• #1,858
BTW, I notice that PF now has a new favicon. And the word "favicon" is currently not in firefox's spelling dictionary by default yet. :D

• #1,859
Medicol said:
BTW, I notice that PF now has a new favicon. And the word "favicon" is currently not in firefox's spelling dictionary by default yet. :D
Yes, and it dynamically changes to tell you how many new alerts you have (assuming that you are logged in). I just noticed that today.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,861
lisab said:
Recently I wanted to look for something on Craigslist, which I don't have linked in my bookmarks (why? I don't know!). When I entered "c" in Google, "Clackamas County Jail" was the first suggestion it gave me! How is that even possible?! I don't live in Oregon and I don't know anyone in jail there! (Or do I? Om...?)

You guys really know how to party down there ;).

It's famous for the friendly staff who cater to your every need and the outstanding menu of freshly cooked food.
JailMainPageCollage-WEB.jpg

And it's the home to our friends Mik and Nero.
http://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/documents/miknerostrangehouse.pdf

• #1,862
Long ago I discussed something at PF and I was asked about "how much is a persons life worth". I didn't have the answer ready, but it turns out (as I suspected, I just didn't know what to look for) people do try to find methodology to estimate the tag price: http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/fin/Documents-and-publications/official-norwegian-reports-/2012/nou-2012-16-2/11.html?id=713606

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,863
Sometimes after too much coffee I get too giddy. I get so excited about math*. Thank goodness for Primus. They always give me a foothold in reality.

*[http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2934]

Last edited:
Likes ChiralWaltz, OmCheeto, Medicol and 2 others
  • #1,864
collinsmark said:
Sometimes after too much coffee I get too giddy. I get so excited about math*. Thank goodness for Primus. They always give me a foothold in reality.

*[http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2934]

Thanks so much for posting that:rolleyes: I feel much better about all the school taxes I have paid during the last 30+ years:eek: but it was fun to watch:D

I watched the next one "the devil went down to Georgia" now I'm hooked:p

Last edited:
  • #1,865
Beware of greeks that come bearing gifts or don't look a http://www.historyrevealed.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/623px_wide/Trojan%20Horse_0.jpg in the mouth?
o_O

• #1,867
Borek said:
Long ago I discussed something at PF and I was asked about "how much is a persons life worth". I didn't have the answer ready, but it turns out (as I suspected, I just didn't know what to look for) people do try to find methodology to estimate the tag price: http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/fin/Documents-and-publications/official-norwegian-reports-/2012/nou-2012-16-2/11.html?id=713606

Create a tally of human talents. Each talent has a scale of 1 to 10. Make it simple: there are 10 human talents.

1) "Depth" intelligence
2) "Breadth" intelligence
3) Intellectual quickness
4) Good looks
5) Kindness
6) Physical strength
7) Agility
8) Artistic talent
9) Great/not-so-great in the sack
10) Magnitude of volitional application of the above talents

Multiply the scale level of each talent by the scale level of all the other talents. Thus, 100 is the max. 10 is the min. Divide this result by the average difference between any two talents. The perfect person would thus have infinite value since the average difference of a whole bunch of ten minus tens is zero. This last process takes into account how "evenly balanced" one's talents are.

Now take this final result, find a box cutter and etch this result onto a Five Fingered Death Punch CD. Play this CD out loud in a 2002 Impala with the windows rolled down in downtown Skokie, Illinois while screaming "I am not Stephanie from Full House!" over and over again.

• #1,868
  • #1,869
Seems barely anyone likes , or at least plays, music created in this century; every time I go somewhere where they play music in the background, they are piping 60's, 70's, 80's, some 90's music, but barely any music produced in this century.

I am assuming of course, that the marketing people in charge of selecting the music have done some research leading to this choice.

Last edited:
  • #1,870
WWGD said:
Seems barely anyone likes , or at least plays, music created in this century; every time I go somewhere where they play music in the background, they are piping 60's, 70's, 80's, some 90's music, but barely any music produced in this century.

I am assuming of course, that the marketing people in charge of selecting the music have done some research leading to this choice.
I hear a fair amount of it in coffee shops.

• #1,871
WWGD said:

Hard for me to put my finger on one thing, but basic fun for kids seems to have become too sophisticated and overpricedoo).
The fun, fun, fun, sounds are all through the music of those early songs.
Just the first thing that comes to my mind, can't find the words for what I feel. The 60's, 70's, 80's were just extra special:D

Likes Medicol
  • #1,872
:D I suddenly remember that I used to work a lot on my own projects.
Just in case you don't know, someone asked me to submit a piece of detailed information about one specific biology project I used to work with in previous pharma-companies. :)
In 2012 I worked with virus, and in 2013 I focused on gene bank and databases which I had chances to play with web front-end technologies to help users or biologists to access my companies'website and to process data.

Likes RonL
  • #1,873
RonL said:
Hard for me to put my finger on one thing, but basic fun for kids seems to have become too sophisticated and overpricedoo).
The fun, fun, fun, sounds are all through the music of those early songs.
Just the first thing that comes to my mind, can't find the words for what I feel. The 60's, 70's, 80's were just extra special:D

I've been struggling over the idea whether or not I want kids. A lot of my friends think I hate kids because I'm always avoiding social functions involving their children. But the thing is: I love kids. I just hate "Kid Culture": The whole market of Disney films, kiddie-music, quasi-kiddie music (like Taylor Swift, etc.), slew of cartoons and Disney Channel, ad nauseum. It's all so phoney. And after all, all these things were invented by grown-ups, not children.

• #1,874
David Carroll said:
I've been struggling over the idea whether or not I want kids. A lot of my friends think I hate kids because I'm always avoiding social functions involving their children. But the thing is: I love kids. I just hate "Kid Culture": The whole market of Disney films, kiddie-music, quasi-kiddie music (like Taylor Swift, etc.), slew of cartoons and Disney Channel, ad nauseum. It's all so phoney. And after all, all these things were invented by grown-ups, not children.
I'm at an age where those grown-ups are in most cases the age of my kids and grand-chrildren.
To give an example of why I feel it difficult to express my thoughts, I have grand-kids that are old enough to be on the ad team that produced this commercial...

I love these Chick-fil-A ads:D
The choice of TV shows that are family rated and comfortable to watch with the grand-kids seems slim (or better said, you have to be on your toes). That's coming from someone that shocks my kids on a regular basis with things I might say or do.:eek:

Likes David Carroll and Medicol
  • #1,875
WWGD said:

New music is fantastic! People just get themselves slip into a music rut as they get old.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,876
lisab said:
New music is fantastic! People just get themselves slip into a music rut as they get old.

But not us.
That stupid song you posted by that Irish kid pops into my head, at least every other day.
Powerful music has that effect.

BTW, what's your source for new music? Without work, nor children, I'm in a bit of a rut.

ps. I can't remember how I first heard of The Shins and Broken Bells.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,877
OmCheeto said:
what's your source for new music?

There is this old fashioned thing called "radio", you can remember it from the good, ol' days.

Likes OmCheeto, RonL and ChiralWaltz
  • #1,878
OmCheeto said:
BTW, what's your source for new music? Without work, nor children, I'm in a bit of a rut.
:) PF seems to be a pretty good place, I have now been introduced to Primus- "Mr Krinkle":D

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,879
Borek said:
There is this old fashioned thing called "radio", you can remember it from the good, ol' days.
That's exactly what I use :D! College stations, especially. Problem with them is they only have a broadcast range of a few miles. Not a very broad broadcast, really.

• #1,880
Borek said:
lisab said:
That's exactly what I use :D! College stations, especially. Problem with them is they only have a broadcast range of a few miles. Not a very broad broadcast, really.
You got me wondering how many radio stations there are in the US and found this.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/page?page=states

• #1,881
Lately I have become interested in watching sports like tennis, golf, basketball, and movies like Star Wars or any cosmonauts' fantastic fights against outer-space creatures.

• #1,882
Medicol said:
Lately I have become interested in watching sports like tennis, golf, basketball, and movies like Star Wars or any cosmonauts' fantastic fights against outer-space creatures.
Whatever you do don't overlook "Alien, Aliens" and the first "Predator" movies:)
Predator might be my all time favorite:D

• #1,883
I watched them, Ok I like them too.

Likes RonL
  • #1,884
WWGD said:

I'm not sure that it is a mystery, but I would be embarrassed to say how many times I have watched "Mr. Krinkle":eek:

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,885
Medicol said:
I watched them, Ok I like them too.
I liked "Species," both I and II, and there are 2 "Mimic" movies, though they're not about alien life forms, but super-evolved Earth insects.

Likes RonL and Medicol
  • #1,886
RonL said:
:) PF seems to be a pretty good place, I have now been introduced to Primus- "Mr Krinkle":D
I think I fell in love with Primus when I heard, my name is mud.
Good grief, 21 years ago.
I'm old. :(

uh oh. I've never seen the video, nor really listened to the lyrics.

HOLY ****!

Still though, the last 30 seconds grabbed me, and still does.

hmmm...

I just watched it again. The first 30 seconds are the same as the last 30 seconds.

hmmmm...

My name is Mud...

Likes RonL
  • #1,887
Evo child was at the modest mouse concert the other night and saw the meteor, here is the video of it. She said seeing it that close and that big was scary.

Likes Medicol and collinsmark
  • #1,888
Evo said:
Evo child was at the modest mouse concert the other night and saw the meteor, here is the video of it. She said seeing it that close and that big was scary.

WOW! I haven't heard a thing about it, until your post:eek::nb)

• #1,889
There are immodest mice?

• #1,890
Evo said:

And perhaps, in the absence of all that noise, she would even hear it