Understand Kirchoff's Loop Law: Voltage & Circuit Elements

In summary, Kirchoff's loop law is a statement of conservation of energy in a circuit. It applies even when there are circuit elements, such as a resistor, and takes into account the internal resistance of the battery. The law states that the voltage lost in the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery minus the voltage drop across the internal resistance. This can be explained by understanding that the battery has a small resistor in series and the voltage drop across it depends on the current. Therefore, for a high applied resistance, the voltage drop across the battery will be small.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm having some trouble understanding Kirchoff's loop law. I understand that it is a statement of conservation of energy, and I understand this. My problem comes when we start talking about circuit elements. If we had a shorted battery, the electrons moving through the circuit would loss there potential as they went around. Now let's add a resistor. The law states that the voltage lost in the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery. Why is this? To me it seems that the electrons lose their potential whether there is a circuit element there or not. How can we be sure that all the potential is lost in the resistor? Thank you for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
I'm having some trouble understanding Kirchoff's loop law. I understand that it is a statement of conservation of energy, and I understand this. My problem comes when we start talking about circuit elements. If we had a shorted battery, the electrons moving through the circuit would loss there potential as they went around. Now let's add a resistor. The law states that the voltage lost in the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery. Why is this? To me it seems that the electrons lose their potential whether there is a circuit element there or not. How can we be sure that all the potential is lost in the resistor? Thank you for you help.
In a circuit containing a battery one has to take into account the internal resistance of the battery. If you short a battery, the current is not infinite. You can think of the battery as a voltage source with a small resistor in series. As you increase the current, there is a drop in the voltage across the battery terminal and the battery will get warm.

So Kirchoff's voltage law applies. You just have to take into account the internal resistance. In other words, the voltage across the external resistor is equal to the emf of the battery minus the voltage drop across the internal resistance of the battery. This voltage drop depends on the current (V=IR) so for a high applied resistance (low current), the voltage drop across the battery will be small.

AM

Kirchoff's loop law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of the voltage drops around any closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

In the case of a shorted battery, the electrons will indeed lose their potential as they move through the circuit. However, this potential loss is not due to the presence of a circuit element, but rather the short circuit itself. In a short circuit, the resistance of the circuit is extremely low, causing a large current to flow. This results in a significant voltage drop across the short circuit, leading to a loss of potential for the electrons.

When a resistor is added to the circuit, the voltage drop across the resistor is equal to the emf (electromotive force) of the battery. This is because the resistor adds resistance to the circuit, limiting the flow of current. As a result, the voltage drop across the resistor is proportional to the amount of current flowing through it, which is determined by the emf of the battery. Therefore, the voltage drop across the resistor is equal to the emf of the battery, as stated by Kirchoff's loop law.

To ensure that all potential is lost in the resistor, we can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop across the resistor. This will confirm that the voltage drop is equal to the emf of the battery. Additionally, the law of conservation of energy ensures that the total energy in the circuit is conserved, so any potential lost in the resistor must be accounted for by the emf of the battery.

In summary, Kirchoff's loop law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that helps us understand the relationship between voltage, current, and circuit elements. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and can be verified through experimental measurements. With a better understanding of this law, you will be able to analyze and design more complex circuits in the future.

1. What is Kirchoff's Loop Law?

Kirchoff's Loop Law, also known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL), is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

2. Why is Kirchoff's Loop Law important?

Kirchoff's Loop Law is important because it allows us to analyze complex circuits and determine the relationships between voltage drops and voltage sources. It is a key tool in circuit analysis and is used to calculate voltage values and identify potential issues in a circuit.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's Loop Law in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's Loop Law, you must first identify all the voltage sources and voltage drops in a closed loop. Then, write out the equation that states that the sum of all voltage drops around the loop is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that loop. Finally, solve the equation to find the unknown voltage values.

4. Can Kirchoff's Loop Law be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Loop Law can be applied to any circuit, as long as the circuit is closed and there are no parallel paths. It is a fundamental law in circuit analysis and is applicable to both simple and complex circuits.

5. What is the difference between Kirchoff's Loop Law and Kirchoff's Node Law?

Kirchoff's Loop Law deals with the conservation of energy in a closed loop, while Kirchoff's Node Law deals with the conservation of charge at a specific node in a circuit. In other words, Kirchoff's Loop Law focuses on voltage drops and sources around a loop, while Kirchoff's Node Law focuses on the current entering and leaving a node.