Solve Basic Torque Problem: Find Downward Accel with Mass m & Radius r

• Thread starter oreosama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a hoop of mass m and radius r that has a cord wrapped around it. The hoop is released while holding the string and rolls without slippage. The task is to write out force and torque equations on the hoop and determine the downward acceleration with given values for m and r. The suggested solution includes calculating torque using the moment of inertia of the hoop and the angular acceleration, and considering the relationship between the force and gravity and tension. The conversation also includes a reminder about the forum's posting guidelines, such as using proper English grammar and avoiding SMS messaging shorthand.
oreosama

Homework Statement

a hoop of mass m and radius r has a cord wrapped around it the hoop is released while holding the string the hoop rolls without slippage
write out force and torque eqns on the hoop
given m, r determine downward accel

Homework Equations

Torque = I alpha
Torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque = I * alpha
I of hoop = m*r^2
alpha = r*a

r x F = m*r^3 * a

this F must have relationship to gravity and tension right? if it were ma then my as cancel

Fy should be ma = Tension - mg ?

im lost at this point, thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
oreosama said:

Homework Statement

a hoop of mass m and radius r has a cord wrapped around it the hoop is released while holding the string the hoop rolls without slippage
write out force and torque eqns on the hoop
given m, r determine downward accel

Homework Equations

Torque = I alpha
Torque = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque = I * alpha
I of hoop = m*r^2
alpha = r*a

r x F = m*r^3 * a

this F must have relationship to gravity and tension right? if it were ma then my as cancel

Fy should be ma = Tension - mg ?

im lost at this point, thanks for any help
Draw a free body diagram for the hoop.

Torque is calculated about some reference point. What point are you choosing?

The following link includes the excerpt below: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

General Posting Guidelines
All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted. Pay reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", and "please" for "please", is not acceptable.
...​

1. What is torque and how does it relate to downward acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Downward acceleration is the rate at which an object speeds up as it moves towards the ground. Torque and downward acceleration are related through the equation: torque = mass x radius x downward acceleration.

2. How do I calculate torque in a basic problem involving mass and radius?

To calculate torque, you will need to know the mass of the object and the distance of the object's center of mass from the axis of rotation (radius). Then, use the equation: torque = mass x radius x downward acceleration. Plug in the known values and solve for downward acceleration.

3. Can I use the same equation to solve for downward acceleration in any torque problem?

No, the equation for torque (torque = mass x radius x downward acceleration) is specific to basic problems involving mass and radius. More complex torque problems may involve additional factors and equations.

4. Are there any units associated with torque and downward acceleration?

Yes, torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N⋅m) and downward acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. What other factors may affect downward acceleration in a torque problem?

Aside from mass and radius, the angle of application of the force and the distribution of mass within the object may also affect downward acceleration in a torque problem. Additionally, the presence of other external forces, such as friction or air resistance, may also impact the acceleration of the object.