Understanding Fixed Support in Statically Indeterminate Problems

In summary, the conversation is about solving statically indeterminate problems and understanding the relationship between fixed supports and deflection. The conclusion is that if the beam is cantilevered, then the deflection will be zero at x=0, but if the beam is supported by a swivel, then this will not be the case.
cambo86
I've just started to learn about how to solve statically indeterminate problems and I just want to check my understanding. If I've got a fixed support at x=0 then does that mean
[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]=0, where x is distance along beam and v is deflection?

As in the picture here,
IMG_0335.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks all but I've got an answer to this. dv/dx = 0 is right.

Only if the beam is cantilevered (built into the wall to prevent rotation). If that's what you mean by a fixed support, then yes. If the beam is supported at x = 0 by a support that allows it to swivel, then no. According to your picture, the beam looks cantilevered.

1. What does "fixed support" mean in the context of dv/dx=0?

In structural engineering, a fixed support refers to a connection point between a beam or column and a supporting structure where the beam or column is prevented from moving or rotating. In mathematical terms, this means that the deflection of the beam or column at that point is zero, resulting in the condition dv/dx=0.

2. Why is dv/dx=0 important in structural engineering?

The condition dv/dx=0 is important because it ensures that the beam or column is stable and will not experience any unwanted bending or deflection. This is crucial for the structural integrity and safety of a building or other structure.

3. Can a beam or column have multiple fixed supports?

Yes, a beam or column can have multiple fixed supports, as long as the total number of supports and the loading conditions are sufficient to prevent any movement or rotation at any point along the beam or column.

4. How is the condition dv/dx=0 achieved in practice?

The condition dv/dx=0 can be achieved in practice by using appropriate support structures, such as fixed connections or anchoring points, at specific locations along the beam or column. Additionally, proper design and calculations must be done to ensure that the beam or column can withstand the expected load without exceeding its deflection limits.

5. Are there any exceptions to the condition dv/dx=0 for fixed supports?

In certain cases, such as when dealing with very large or complex structures, the condition dv/dx=0 may not be achievable. In these situations, engineers may use other methods, such as adding additional supports or using specialized materials, to ensure the stability and safety of the structure.