Males vs. Females: What Do Each Do Better?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, males usually do better than females in various activities, but this isn't always the case.
When will people learn... Men and women are both equally inferior to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy said:
When will people learn... Men and women are both equally inferior to me.

PFs first non man, woman Entropy what are you :confused:
some thing escaped from area 51 may be :rofl:

http://www.doctorhugo.org/brain4.html

What kind of brain do you have? There really are big differences between the male and female brain, says Simon Baron-Cohen, director of the Autism Research Centre, Cambridge University. In his new book, the Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male Brain (published by Penguin) Baron-Cohen shows that, indisputably, on average male and female minds are of a slightly different character. Men tend to be better at analysing systems (better systemisers), while women tend to be better at reading the emotions of other people (better empathisers). Baron-Cohen shows that this distinction arises from biology, not culture.

Cell numbers: men have 4% more brain cells than women, and about 100 grams more of brain tissue. Many women have asked me why men need more brain tissue in order to get the same things done.

Cellular connections: even though a man seems to have more brain cells, it is reported that women have more dendritic connections between brain cells.

Corpus collosum size: it is reported that a woman's brain has a larger corpus collusum, which means women can transfer data between the right and left hemisphere faster than men. Men tend to be more left brained, while women have greater access to both sides.

Language: for men, language is most often just in the dominant hemisphere (usually the left side), but a larger number of women seem to be able to use both sides for language. This gives them a distinct advantage. If a woman has a stroke in the left front side of the brain, she may still retain some language from the right front side. Men who have the same left sided damage are less likely to recover as fully.

Limbic size: bonding/nesting instincts - current research has demonstrated that females, on average, have a larger deep limbic system than males. This gives females several advantages and disadvantages. Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, they are generally better able to express their feelings than men. They have an increased ability to bond and be connected to others (which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on Earth where men are primary caretakers for children). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. Having a larger deep limbic system leaves a female somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves) and men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.

Every time i look at a woman now i will be thinking how big is her Corpus collosum :grumpy:

wolram said:
PFs first non man, woman Entropy what are you :confused:
some thing escaped from area 51 may be :rofl:
Yes, what chaos Entropy's causing! <groan>

honestrosewater said:
Yes, what chaos Entropy's causing! <groan>
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

honestrosewater said:
Okay, I selectively quoted to support my previous post, but at least I'm admitting to it. :biggrin:
Yes, I'll knock a thousand years off your stay in purgatory for admitting it.

So it sounds like women are really just better at naming a wider variety of colors, and we can suspect this is in service of the "decoration" proclivity.

In a lot of primitive societies men are just as decorated as women, if not more. Somehow, this has been generally suppressed in men in a lot of cultures, but it's making a comeback with the tattoos and piercings.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, I'll knock a thousand years off your stay in purgatory for admitting it.
Wow, zoobies possesses papal powers too! Your kind never ceases to amaze me.

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone mentioned women, being the gatherers more than hunters, having to distinguish between poisonous and non-poisonous berries and such, based largely on color. Passing this knowledge along to their female kin through language would have been beneficial. But that's just a shot on the dark.

Last edited:
That was Wolram on the previous page of this thread.

honestrosewater said:
Yeah, indulgences, and I got a guy coming over to paint the ceiling of the zoobie brushshelter.

honestrosewater said:

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone mentioned women, being the gatherers more than hunters, having to distinguish between poisonous and non-poisonous berries and such, based largely on color. Passing this knowledge along to their female kin through language would have been beneficial. But that's just a shot on the dark.

I thought i was the only one that shot in the dark :tongue2: now i am a real
no body :cry:

wolram said:
I thought i was the only one that shot in the dark :tongue2: now i am a real
no body :cry:
I meant it was a shot in the dark coming from me, i.e., I don't have enough knowledge on the matter for it to be any more than a wild guess. I thought it was a good idea - that's why I stole it. :smile: I love you, woolie! :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
I meant it was a shot in the dark coming from me, i.e., I don't have enough knowledge on the matter for it to be any more than a wild guess. I thought it was a good idea - that's why I stole it. :smile: I love you, woolie! :biggrin:

Well two can shoot better in the dark than one :biggrin: I retract my :tongue2:
and take a fever pill.

wolram said:
What do males do better than females, and females do better males?
Excluding giving birth.

The only things i can think of, I do not see many female builders or formula one
racing drivers.

I also haven't seen women as formula racing drivers but i think they are better drivers than men(i am not pointing to speed!)

heman said:
I also haven't seen women as formula racing drivers but i think they are better drivers than men(i am not pointing to speed!)
Hmm, like the one that drove from heathrow AP in first gear, thinking it was an
auto, do not be fooled by olo, the brakes may be ok but usually the clutch is
gone.

wolram said:
Every time i look at a woman now i will be thinking how big is her Corpus collosum :grumpy:
I wouldn't recommend trying that as a compliment on any woman outside of PF though; the average, non-anatomically-literate person might not take that the right way. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I wouldn't recommend trying that as a compliment on any woman outside of PF though; the average, non-anatomically-literate person might not take that the right way. :rolleyes:

Well as you are a PFer, i bet yours is huge :biggrin: