Calculating if a Stack support for a chimney will fail?

• Thread starter helsbay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, to accurately calculate if a support structure for a chimney will fail, it is recommended to use a structural analysis software and consult with a professional engineer for additional guidance.
helsbay
Hello,
I have a problem in calculating if a support structure for a chimney will fail. I am not asking for someone to do it for me just point me in the correct dirrection. Its the weight and force from the chimney and the external forces like wind that need taking into account. I have used a wind speed of 100mph on the chimney calcs. I have included a pdf of the stack and support of a stucture I know will fail from another companies calcs but I do not know how they did it. Any help will be appreciated and I will be forever in your debt. Thank you.

Rob

Attachments

• Stack Layout1 (1).pdf
    67 KB · Views: 199
Engineering news on Phys.org
ynThe best way to approach this problem is to use a structural analysis software, such as STAAD Pro or SAP2000. These programs can help you model the structure and its supports, as well as apply wind loadings, gravity loadings, and other external loads. You will also be able to analyze the structure to determine the stresses and strains that are present in the different components, allowing you to see where the structure may fail. You may also want to consider consulting with a professional engineer who specializes in structural engineering, as they will be able to provide more detailed advice on how to properly analyze your chimney support structure.

1. How do you calculate if a stack support for a chimney will fail?

To calculate if a stack support for a chimney will fail, you will need to determine the load-bearing capacity of the stack support and compare it to the weight of the chimney and any additional loads it may bear, such as wind or snow. This can be done using engineering calculations and structural analysis software.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating if a stack support for a chimney will fail?

There are several factors that should be considered when calculating if a stack support for a chimney will fail, including the weight of the chimney, the type and strength of the materials used for the stack support, the design and construction of the stack support, and any external loads that the chimney may bear.

3. Can a stack support for a chimney fail even if it appears to be structurally sound?

Yes, a stack support for a chimney can fail even if it appears to be structurally sound. This can happen due to changes in the load-bearing capacity of the support over time, such as corrosion or deterioration of materials, or unexpected external forces, such as severe weather events.

4. Is it necessary to consult a structural engineer when calculating if a stack support for a chimney will fail?

Yes, it is highly recommended to consult a structural engineer when calculating if a stack support for a chimney will fail. They have the expertise and knowledge to accurately assess the structural integrity of the support and provide recommendations for any necessary repairs or reinforcements.

5. Are there any regulations or codes that dictate the design and construction of stack supports for chimneys?

Yes, there are regulations and codes that dictate the design and construction of stack supports for chimneys. These may vary by location, but typically include guidelines for load-bearing capacity, materials, and construction methods to ensure the safety and stability of the chimney and its support.