Turn Non-Backlit LCD Into Backlit LCD | TI-89 Graphing Calculator

• Thread starter JerryG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, there is no practical way to turn a non-backlit LCD into a backlit LCD for a TI-89 graphing calculator. Some suggestions include checking for contrast/viewing angle adjustments in the menus or using an electroluminescent (EL) panel for a TI86 calculator. However, these methods may not be readily available or easy to implement. It is also surprising that companies like TI and HP have not yet introduced color/backlit LCDs on their calculators.
JerryG
Is there a way to turn a non-backlit LCD into a backlit LCD? My TI-89 graphing calculator is difficult to see in dim lighting. Got any ideas? You would think that by now, TI and HP would have some color/backlit LCDs on the calculators.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JerryG said:
Is there a way to turn a non-backlit LCD into a backlit LCD? My TI-89 graphing calculator is difficult to see in dim lighting. Got any ideas? You would think that by now, TI and HP would have some color/backlit LCDs on the calculators.

There's no practical way that I know of. Is there a contrast/viewing angle adjustment for the display in the menus?

JerryG said:

I know that its possible to make a TI86 calc with backlight by using an electroluminescent (EL) panel.

ranger said:
I know that its possible to make a TI86 calc with backlight by using an electroluminescent (EL) panel.

Well that's kind of a teaser ranger! We need pictures and links! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I turn my non-backlit LCD into a backlit LCD on my TI-89 calculator?

To turn a non-backlit LCD into a backlit LCD on a TI-89 graphing calculator, you will need to purchase and install a backlight kit specifically designed for the TI-89 model. These kits can be found online or at electronics stores. Once installed, the backlight will illuminate the screen and make it easier to read in low light conditions.

2. Is it possible to add a backlight to a TI-89 calculator that was not originally designed with one?

Yes, it is possible to add a backlight to a TI-89 calculator that was not originally designed with one. As mentioned, you will need to purchase a backlight kit and install it on your calculator. However, keep in mind that this modification may void your warranty and should be done carefully to avoid damaging your calculator.

3. Can I adjust the brightness of the backlight on my TI-89 calculator?

No, the brightness of the backlight on a TI-89 calculator cannot be adjusted. The backlight kit will come with a pre-determined brightness level that cannot be changed. However, some kits may offer different color options for the backlight.

4. Will adding a backlight to my TI-89 calculator drain the battery faster?

Yes, adding a backlight to your TI-89 calculator will use more battery power and may drain the battery faster. It is recommended to use rechargeable batteries or have spare batteries on hand if you plan to use the backlight frequently.

5. Are there any other benefits to adding a backlight to my TI-89 calculator?

In addition to making the screen easier to read in low light conditions, a backlight can also improve the overall usability of the calculator. It can reduce eye strain and make it easier to use the calculator for extended periods of time. Some users also find that a backlight makes the calculator look more modern and professional.