Energy Storage in Flywheels

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of energy storage in flywheels. The person is searching for resources on types of frictions in energy storage flywheels and motor/generator selection for this type of energy storage. They are working on a school project and have found a few sites but are looking for more information. They also mention a related thread on a forum that may be helpful in their research.
Sara Samuel
Energy Storage in Flywheels:

I am searching for resources on couple of topics 1) Types of frictions in energy storage flywheels -aerodynamic, rotational ... etc. and 2) Motor/Generator selection for energy storage flywheels.
Any links or references will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sara Samuel said:
Energy Storage in Flywheels:

I am searching for resources on couple of topics 1) Types of frictions in energy storage flywheels -aerodynamic, rotational ... etc. and 2) Motor/Generator selection for energy storage flywheels.
Any links or references will be appreciated.

What have you found so far? Is this for a schoolwork project? What is the context of your question?

It's a schoolwork project of a Storage Device Systems class. I have to prepare a paper and a 15 min presentation on one of these energy storage topics. My search yielded few sites that touch on the subject without going deep into details. Maybe the only abundant topic is the magnetic bearings versus other kinds.

Sara Samuel said:
It's a schoolwork project of a Storage Device Systems class. I have to prepare a paper and a 15 min presentation on one of these energy storage topics. My search yielded few sites that touch on the subject without going deep into details. Maybe the only abundant topic is the magnetic bearings versus other kinds.

Check out the Related Links at the bottom of this page for more PF threads on flywheels. There was one in particular that was pretty long, and addressed a number of practical considerations of flywheel energy storage. Maybe try a PF forum search to help you find that thread. :smile:

Likes 1 person

I am familiar with the concept of energy storage in flywheels. Flywheels are a type of mechanical energy storage system that uses the rotational energy of a spinning disc to store and release energy. This technology has been used for centuries, but recent advancements in materials and design have made it a promising solution for modern energy storage needs.

In terms of friction in energy storage flywheels, there are several types that can affect the efficiency and performance of the system. Aerodynamic friction can occur due to air resistance on the spinning disc, while rotational friction can be caused by the bearings and other mechanical components. It is important to consider and minimize these frictions in the design and operation of flywheel energy storage systems.

When it comes to motor/generator selection for energy storage flywheels, there are a few key factors to consider. The motor must be able to efficiently spin the flywheel to store energy, while the generator must be able to convert the rotational energy back into electrical energy when needed. Additionally, the motor and generator must be able to handle the high speeds and torque required for flywheel systems.

I would recommend conducting further research on these topics by consulting scientific journals and publications, as well as reaching out to experts in the field for their insights and recommendations. A good place to start would be with organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) or the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), which have resources and standards related to energy storage flywheels. I hope this helps in your search for information on this fascinating technology.

1. What is energy storage in flywheels?

Energy storage in flywheels is a method of storing energy by accelerating a rotor (flywheel) to high speeds and maintaining its rotation, thus storing kinetic energy. This energy can then be retrieved by decelerating the flywheel, converting the kinetic energy back into electrical energy.

2. How do flywheels store energy?

Flywheels store energy through rotational motion. When energy is supplied to the flywheel, usually through an electric motor, it spins and gains kinetic energy. This energy is stored in the form of rotational inertia and can be retrieved by converting it back into electrical energy.

3. What are the advantages of flywheel energy storage?

Flywheel energy storage has several advantages, including high efficiency, fast response time, and long lifespan. It also has the ability to charge and discharge energy repeatedly without degradation, making it a reliable source of energy storage.

4. What are the applications of flywheel energy storage?

Flywheel energy storage has various applications, including power backup for critical systems, renewable energy integration, and load balancing for electric grids. It can also be used in transportation, such as in hybrid vehicles and trains, to store energy during braking and use it for acceleration.

5. What are the limitations of flywheel energy storage?

The main limitations of flywheel energy storage are high cost and limited energy storage capacity. Additionally, the high speeds at which the flywheel must rotate can also pose safety concerns. However, ongoing research and development aim to address these limitations and improve the technology for wider use.