Confusing circuit analysis question

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on whether equation (4) they wrote is correct. They are confused because they were taught that each energy storage element should have its own state variable, but in this situation, they are able to write iL in terms of other variables. They question if this violates what they have learned in class, but the responder explains that the state variables of different elements can be dependent on each other when connected in a circuit.
anon6912
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi

I have the following situation:
(Please see attached pic)
undefined.jpg

I want to know if equation (4) i have written is correct.

What is confusing me is that, I remember being told in circuit analysis that each energy storage element should have its own state variable.

But in this situation when I apply KCL at node 1 and using that relationship I am seemingly able to write iL in terms of the other two variables.

I can apply KCL there can't I?
and if I can apply KCL at that node then I can get il = ig + is?
then I can substitute this result in eq1 to get eq4?

But this seems to violate what I have learned in class of each energy storage element needing its own state variable.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_102122818_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180716_102122818_HDR.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if we consider the current through each energy storing element as its state variable then I don't see what it is that bothers you.

Each element having its own state variable, doesn't necessarily mean that the state variables of various elements are independent from each other, the elements interact with each other with various ways when they are connected in a circuit in various ways, so their states become dependent from each other, so the state variables become dependent from each other as well.

Likes anon6912
Thank you. That clarified my doubt

Likes Delta2

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of understanding and predicting the behavior of electric circuits. It involves analyzing the flow of electricity through various components in a circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, to determine important electrical properties like voltage, current, and power.

2. What makes a circuit analysis question confusing?

A circuit analysis question may be confusing if it involves complex circuit configurations, multiple sources of electricity, or non-linear components. Additionally, confusing questions may lack necessary information or contain extraneous details that can make it difficult to identify the key concepts and solve the problem.

3. How can I approach a confusing circuit analysis question?

The key to approaching a confusing circuit analysis question is to start by identifying the important components and simplifying the circuit. Then, use fundamental principles and equations, such as Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's law, to analyze the circuit step by step. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams and use tools like circuit simulators to visualize the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving circuit analysis questions?

Some common mistakes when solving circuit analysis questions include forgetting to account for all components in the circuit, using incorrect equations or values, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double check all calculations and solutions to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my circuit analysis skills?

The best way to improve circuit analysis skills is through practice and repetition. Start with simple circuits and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to study and understand the underlying principles and concepts of electricity and circuits. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also aid in improving circuit analysis skills.