Proving the Oplus Symbol: A, B, C, D Sets - Solving the SETS Problem

• Thread starter majeedh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: Suppose x is in (A\oplus B)\oplus (C\oplus D). What must be true about it? From the definition, if a point, p, is in A then it is also in B and vice versa? what is true about p from the definitions? Once you know exactly where, relative to A, B, C, D, p must be in order to be in the right set, use that information to show that it must be in the left set.
majeedh
this is one problem which i don't know how to start..im not sure which proof i should use to solve this problem
the problem is:
If A,B,C,and D are sets, does it follow
(A Φ B) Φ (C Φ D) = (A Φ C) Φ (B Φ D)
the symbol that is separting the characters is called the oplus symbol, that's the closet symbol i could find
the oplus symbol is a circle with one line going across it and one line going down

Physics news on Phys.org
no it doesnt
the symbol I am trying to illustrate there is the oplus which can be viewed at this link

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/LaTeX/AoPS_L_GuideSym.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that mean the XOR operation, ie, [itex] A \oplus B = (A-B) \cup (B-A)[/itex], also known as the symmetric difference? What have you tried?

yes that is the symbol which I am referring to...symmetric difference

i don't know where to start..i have no clue on what to do?

Start by trying to see if it's true. You can draw a picture, something like 4 overlapping circles, and see if you can find the regions corresponding to each side of that equation.

i have tried to draw circles before...but i just keep getting lost..i don't know how to proof this and which would be the best proof to use in such a case..im totally lost on how to start the problem

Ok, then just write out the definitions. Get everything in terms of unions, intersections and complements, which should be easier to work with.

im going to see what i can come up with..but iam clueless in what to do...

You want to prove that two sets, the set on the left side and the set on the right side, are equal. Typically you do that by proving that anything in one of the sets is also in the other.

Suppose x is in [itex] (A\oplus B)\oplus (C\oplus D)[/itex]. What must be true about it? From the definition, if a point, p, is in [itex]A\oplus B[/itex] is it in A or B? exactly what is true about p from the definitions? Once you know exactly where, relative to A, B, C, D, p must be in order to be in the left set, use that information to show that it must be in the right set.

Now reverse and do it the other way.

1. What is a SETS problem?

A SETS problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the number of unique combinations of elements from a given set that satisfy a certain condition or criteria. It is often used in statistics and probability, as well as in computer science and data analysis.

2. How do you solve a SETS problem?

To solve a SETS problem, you first need to identify the given set and the condition or criteria that must be met. Then, you can use various techniques such as Venn diagrams, counting principles, or formulas to determine the total number of possible combinations that satisfy the given condition.

3. What are some real-life applications of SETS problems?

SETS problems have various real-life applications, such as in market research to determine the number of potential customers who fit a specific demographic, in genetics to calculate the probability of inheriting certain traits, and in computer programming to optimize algorithms and data structures.

4. Can SETS problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, SETS problems can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be more than one way to combine elements from a given set to satisfy a certain condition. However, the number of solutions may vary depending on the specific problem and the given criteria.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving SETS problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving SETS problems is to practice regularly. You can find various SETS problems online or in math textbooks and try to solve them using different techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to learn from others and get feedback on your solutions.