Derivative not correct for online hw submission, but is correct

• Thread starter Torshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
Anyways, thank you for the correction!In summary, when finding the derivative of (x^2+2x+5)^2, it is important to only apply the chain rule once and not to multiply the terms before using the power rule.
Torshi

Homework Statement

Find the d/dx
(x^2+2x+5)^2

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer:

2(x^2+2x+5)*(2x+2)*2

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you apply the chain rule again to (2x+2)? You only need to do it once.

It should be:

##2(x^2 + 2x + 5)(2x + 2)##

Think of it this way: ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = x^2 + 2x + 5##.

Then, ##D(f \circ g)(x) = Df(g(x))D(g(x))##

Last edited:
You could also just multiply it out and use the power rule.

Torshi, your title is misleading. The derivative you show is not correct for online submission, AND it is not correct, as Karnage1993 points out.

Mark44 said:
Torshi, your title is misleading. The derivative you show is not correct for online submission, AND it is not correct, as Karnage1993 points out.

I didn't mean it to be misleading. My fault. The reason why I said that was because I was at my university math lab and even one of the math instructors said it was correct, but made a tad mistake until I mentioned it. I figured out the answer though.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is calculated as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

Why might a derivative not be correct for online homework submission?

There are several reasons why a derivative may not be correct for online homework submission. It could be due to a mistake in the calculation, incorrect input values, or a misunderstanding of the concept.

How can I ensure the correctness of my derivative for online homework submission?

To ensure the correctness of your derivative for online homework submission, it is important to double-check your calculations and input values. It may also be helpful to consult with a classmate or your instructor for clarification on the concept.

What should I do if my derivative is not correct for online homework submission?

If your derivative is not correct for online homework submission, you should first try to identify where the mistake occurred and correct it. If you are unable to find the error, it may be helpful to seek assistance from your instructor or a tutor.

Is it important to submit a correct derivative for online homework?

Yes, it is important to submit a correct derivative for online homework as it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is often used in more complex problems. It is also important for accurately assessing your understanding of the topic and for receiving a good grade on your homework.