Physical Geography vs Geology class

In summary, if you want to take a geology class to fulfill a prerequisite for a speleology course, talk to your advisor and see if it's possible to do so without taking the speleology class. If you are undecided, I would suggest taking a geology class first.
tree-lights
I want to take either a geology or physical geography class; I don't know which one I would enjoy more. If I take geology, it fulfills a prerequisite for another class I would like to take, Speleology; but the likelihood of me taking this class is unlikely.

I have a general idea of the differences in subject matter, but can anyone maybe explain a bit more, such as the specific subjects you will learn and what you will have to do in lab? I am already taking a different geography class next semester (Intro to Sustainability - new fancy name for an ecology and society class).

I don't know, I would just like some opinions on the class before I register, if anyone can help.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
tree-lights said:
I want to take either a geology or physical geography class; I don't know which one I would enjoy more. If I take geology, it fulfills a prerequisite for another class I would like to take, Speleology; but the likelihood of me taking this class is unlikely.

I have a general idea of the differences in subject matter, but can anyone maybe explain a bit more, such as the specific subjects you will learn and what you will have to do in lab? I am already taking a different geography class next semester (Intro to Sustainability - new fancy name for an ecology and society class).

I don't know, I would just like some opinions on the class before I register, if anyone can help.

An awful lot depends upon how the two courses are taught at your school--and who teaches them. I suggest you talk to students who have taken the courses and then browse through the textbooks for the two courses at the bookstore.

When I taught physical geography (back in the Neolithic), I started with earth-sun relationships, progressed to climatology, then introduced geomorphology and oceanography, and finally ended up with plant and animal geography (ecology in today's academia). The physical geography course was an introduction to and prerequisite for more advanced 200 and 300 level courses. However, I have no idea how they do it at your school. I would strongly suggest that the advice you can get from fellow students or your advisor is worth more than any advice you can get online.

I agree, I think it the evaluation of a class relies heavily on the instructor and how they teach the course. If your school provides online evaluations of teachers, I suggest checking those out first. When it comes down to it, though, I think that you should take the class that interests you most. In the end, you will succeed in something that you enjoy learning about.

1. What is the main difference between Physical Geography and Geology class?

Physical Geography focuses on the study of the Earth's surface, including its landforms, climate, and natural processes. Geology, on the other hand, is the study of the Earth's physical structure, composition, and history.

2. Are there any overlapping topics between Physical Geography and Geology?

Yes, there are some overlapping topics between the two classes. Both Physical Geography and Geology cover topics such as plate tectonics, weathering and erosion, and the formation of landforms.

3. Which class would be more suitable for someone interested in studying natural disasters?

Geology would be the more suitable class for someone interested in studying natural disasters. It covers topics such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and landslides in more depth compared to Physical Geography.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in science to take these classes?

While a background in science would be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in science to take these classes. Both Physical Geography and Geology cover introductory topics and do not require prior knowledge.

5. How do these classes relate to other disciplines such as environmental science and oceanography?

Physical Geography and Geology are both closely related to other disciplines such as environmental science and oceanography. They provide a foundation for understanding the physical processes and structures of the Earth, which are important in these fields of study.