True or false questions about partial derivatives

In summary, if the derivative of a function f(x,y) exists with respect to both x and y at a point (a,b), then f is differentiable at (a,b). Additionally, if the point (2,1) is a critical point of f and the second derivative with respect to x and y at (2,1) multiplied together is less than the square of the second derivative with respect to x and y at (2,1), then f has a saddle point at (2,1). Furthermore, if f(x,y) has two local maxima, then it must have a local minimum. Lastly, Dk f(x,y,z) refers to the directional derivative of f in the direction of the k (
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

1.if the derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x and y both exist, then f is differentiable at (a,b)
2. if (2,1) is a critical point of f and fxx (2,1)* fyy (2,1) < (fxy (2,1))^2, then f has a saddle point at (1,2)
3. if f(x,y) has two local maxima, then f must have a local minimun
4. Dk f(x,y,z)= fz (x,y,z)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. i think it is right, but i can't come up with a good explanation
2. i think it is right according to the second derivative test, but for some reason, the wording of this question keeps making me think this question is wrong
3. i thnk it is right, because if f( x,y) has 2 local max, then there must be a local min between those two local max because the graph must decrease after the first local max
4. i have no idea, can someone explain?

can someone tell me what i did is right or nor?

Physics news on Phys.org
so i assume you just have to decide true or false?

i) what is the defintion of differentiable?
ii) check against 2nd derivative test as you said, rearrange expression to help if necessary, I can't see anything wrong with the wording
iii) that might be true for teh 1 variable case, though imagine two peaks in an otherwise flat plane, is tehre any local minima?
iv) I think this means the directional derivatine in the k (z) direction

lanedance said:
so i assume you just have to decide true or false?

i) what is the defintion of differentiable?
ii) check against 2nd derivative test as you said, rearrange expression to help if necessary, I can't see anything wrong with the wording
iii) that might be true for teh 1 variable case, though imagine two peaks in an otherwise flat plane, is tehre any local minima?
iv) I think this means the directional derivatine in the k (z) direction

i) but doesn't fx and fy have to be continuous at (a,b)?
iv) can you explain a little bit more about it, i still don't get it

thank you

i) you still haven't said what the definition of differentiability is?
iv) say you have a vector v, the directional derivative in the direction of a unit vector v is the rate of change of the function moving in the direction of v, it is given by

[tex] D_{\textbf{v}} = \nabla f \bullet \textbf{v} [/tex]

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative denoted?

A partial derivative is denoted by the symbol ∂ (the partial derivative operator) followed by the name of the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the change in a function with respect to one variable, while a total derivative measures the change in a function with respect to all of its variables simultaneously.

4. Can a partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing with respect to the variable in question.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze changes in complex systems. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.