Understanding Voltage & Current in Simple Circuits

In Summary, Voltage, current, and resistance are all related. Voltage, current, and resistance must all have each other in order for a circuit to work.
Ali Inam
Suppose we have any simple circuit and we are giving it a voltage of 5V, then I cannot understand what is the role of current in that.

I know current is the flow of electrons in it, but, what really is the difference between the supplying of voltage and the supplying of current ? !

I just get mixed up with the practical purposes of current and voltage

:cry:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage, Current, and Resistance are interrelated. Simply to answer your question, you can't have voltage without current, nor current without voltage based on Ohm's law. Each one must have each other in some way or another. Now I'm going to explain it

V=IR is a well known equation for EEs called Ohm's Law. This has to be true every where. So when you supply a particular voltage to a circuit, there is an associated impedance (even if it's an IC, capacitor, inductor, etc). Impedance is the complex form of resistance (little harder to describe). Everything in circuits can be represented (ultimately) by impedance. So ohm's law is really this:

V=ZR where Z=R+jX

[V] voltage
[Z] impedance
current
[R] resistance
[X] Reactance

Now as to what current is. I'll give you the classic water-pipe example. Imagine that you have a water-pipe of a certain diameter (R). water in the pipe is considered the electrons. Imagine voltage as being the water pressure (or push) in the pipe. Finally imagine current being the amount of water that flows through a given portion of the pipe. If R = infinity, this would indicate you have no pipe and thus no current can flow. It's like blocking the pipe up with something. If the pipe is infinitely big, water would flow really easy with whatever pressure you supply to the water. But if your pipe is say 1 ft in diameter. you can't just pump 600gallons/sec through it without having a very strong pump (or voltage).

I hope this description helps a little. I tried to explain the best way possible. The key is that all circuits have some form of resistance and thus must follow Ohm's Law

---------
Justin Coulston
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

FAQ: Understanding Voltage & Current in Simple Circuits

1. What is voltage and how does it relate to current in a circuit?

Voltage is the measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is often referred to as the driving force of current flow. In a simple circuit, voltage is the force that pushes electrons through the circuit, creating current.

2. How is voltage measured and what is its unit of measurement?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What is current and how does it flow in a circuit?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charge (typically carried by electrons) passes through a given point in the circuit. In a simple circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of the voltage source, through the components, and back to the negative terminal of the source.

4. How is current affected by voltage and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, current (I) is directly proportional to voltage (V) and inversely proportional to resistance (R). This means that as voltage increases, current also increases and as resistance increases, current decreases. This relationship can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

5. How do you calculate the voltage or current in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltages across each component. The total current is the same at all points in a series circuit. In a parallel circuit, the total voltage across all branches is the same, while the total current is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents. To calculate the voltage or current in a series or parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's Law or apply Kirchhoff's circuit laws.

Back