Numerical Solutions to Laplace's equation in a wedge

In summary, Meurig is trying to solve a linear harmonic problem with interior angle 0<\alpha<pi/2. He has the far field boundary conditions of \phi=r^{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}}\sin(\frac{\pi\theta}{2\alpha}) as r\rightarrow\inf and \eta=\frac{\pi}{4\alpha}r^{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}-1} as r\rightarrow\inf. He is having trouble with the free-surface boundary condition. He has attempted to solve the problem but the error has been exponential. He wonders if anyone has any ideas.
Meurig
Hi all,

I am trying to construct a numerical solution to the following linear harmonic problem posed in a wedge of interior angle [itex]0<\alpha<pi/2[/itex]

[itex]\bigtriangledown^2\phi(r,\theta), \ r>0, \ -\alpha<\theta<0[/itex]

[itex]\bigtriangledown\phi\cdot\mathbf{n}=0, r>0,\ \theta=-\alpha,[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\pi}{\alpha}\eta(r)-2r\eta_{r}-\frac{1}{r}\phi_{\theta}=0, r>0, \theta=0,[/itex]

[itex](1+\frac{\pi}{\alpha})\phi - 2r\phi_{r}+(1+\sigma\tan(\alpha))\eta =0, r>0, \theta=0,[/itex]

In addition I have the far field boundary conditions:

[itex]\phi=r^{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}}\sin(\frac{\pi\theta}{2\alpha})[/itex] as [itex]r\rightarrow\inf[/itex]

[itex]\eta=\frac{\pi}{4\alpha}r^{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}-1}[/itex] as [itex]r\rightarrow\inf[/itex].

And the solution local to the tip of the wedge given by
[itex]\phi=\frac{A\alpha\sin{\alpha}(1+\sigma\tan{\alpha})}{\pi(1+\pi/\alpha)}+rA\cos(\theta+\alpha)[/itex]

[itex]\eta=-\frac{A\alpha\sin\alpha}{\pi}+\eta_1 r[/itex]

where A and [itex]\eta_1[/itex] can be approximated through solving the near field boundary condition
[itex]\phi_\theta +r\tan(\theta+\alpha)\phi_r=0, r=\epsilon, -\alpha<\theta<0[/itex]
So far I have attempted constructing a finite difference approximation in terms of polar coordinates, but as I iterate this scheme the error increases exponentially until phi approaches infinity.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas with regards to what I should be looking to do/what I should be weary of.

Cheers,
Meurig

*edit to correct latex

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you calculate the error, or rather, are you sure numerical error is to blame?

Where does phi become infinite? For instance, it is supposed to be infinite where a source lies.

Thanks for the reply, I think I've managed to sort that issue.

The problem I'm having now is in the implementation of the free surface boundary condition (when [itex]\bar\theta=0[/itex]).

This is a graph produced using the analytical result:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/YGjbspVigI58cmMU02IvXSFxVreWQ4B4jrsToC--TNzEAGf3O0_CjIu6jouvfx1xXE5U6SyLdQ4f9uqKwS55rB6Zs63B3W8ep9A=w1600

And using my method:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pwIa6Y4c4oe1P0RrazI5pgpQm5rrEc4azNujnt7HVNh9zDtO078kl4yQrXfZiPOjHswI0qRyc1-XcBdrA3UVFpS2ciMFAwh6G9U=w1600

The complete write up of what I'm doing is here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-bjkxDlh3fxOWQ3NTU5NjctOWZhMi00MDI1LWJhODItOTQ2NGMyNjVlY2I2

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Meurig

Last edited by a moderator:
Meurig said:
Thanks for the reply, I think I've managed to sort that issue.

The problem I'm having now is in the implementation of the free surface boundary condition (when [itex]\bar\theta=0[/itex]).

This is a graph produced using the analytical result:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/YGjbspVigI58cmMU02IvXSFxVreWQ4B4jrsToC--TNzEAGf3O0_CjIu6jouvfx1xXE5U6SyLdQ4f9uqKwS55rB6Zs63B3W8ep9A=w1600

And using my method:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/pwIa6Y4c4oe1P0RrazI5pgpQm5rrEc4azNujnt7HVNh9zDtO078kl4yQrXfZiPOjHswI0qRyc1-XcBdrA3UVFpS2ciMFAwh6G9U=w1600

The complete write up of what I'm doing is here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-bjkxDlh3fxOWQ3NTU5NjctOWZhMi00MDI1LWJhODItOTQ2NGMyNjVlY2I2

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Meurig
Unfortunately I cannot see the graphs and I guess I'm not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

The numerical results:
2mljn.png

The analytical results:
29wsf7q.png

As you can see, the issue lies with the values at the free-surface.

I've never dealt with any boundary conditions involving two separate functions before (here [itex]\hat\phi[/itex] and [itex]\hat\eta[/itex]), if anyone could point me in the direction of some reading material on this matter it would be much appreciated.

Your two domains are different. Which of the two is supposed to be the correct geometry? Also, the domains are really off since none of the dimensions match, and neither does the number of boundary segments. Unless you get the domains to have the same contours you cannot compare your results.

I am not familiar with near or far field BCs, but what I can say at this point, is that your plots definitely defer by one boundary condition. Supposing that you are plotting equipotential lines here, in your numerical plot the top horizontal line has a Neumann boundary condition (streamlines are perpendicular to the boundary). You have probably not defined that boundary condition in you analytical solution, which is why your analytical plot looks like this.

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is often used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electricity.

2. What is a numerical solution?

A numerical solution to Laplace's equation refers to a method of approximating the solution to the equation using a computer or other computational tools. This is necessary because in most cases, there is no analytical solution that can be found.

3. What is a wedge?

A wedge is a geometric shape that resembles a triangle but with one of the angles being 90 degrees. In the context of Laplace's equation, a wedge refers to a two-dimensional region with two boundary lines that intersect at a right angle.

4. Why is finding a numerical solution to Laplace's equation in a wedge important?

Finding a numerical solution to Laplace's equation in a wedge is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a scalar field in a wedge-shaped region. This has many practical applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

5. What are some commonly used methods for finding numerical solutions to Laplace's equation in a wedge?

Some commonly used methods for finding numerical solutions to Laplace's equation in a wedge include the finite difference method, the finite element method, and the boundary element method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved.