Background information on engine blow-by

In summary, the measurement of engine blow-by is an important aspect of engine performance. The blow-by gases can be routed back into the engine's inlet tract, vented to the atmosphere, or filtered and separated from oil. The best solution for managing blow-by will depend on the specific engine design.
uk_samo
Hi
I am currently doing a project looking at the measurment of engine blow-by. Any information about this tha anyone can give me would be most appreciated. In particuar where does the blow-by go when it comes out the crankcase attached to the engine? thanks for your time
matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
uk_samo said:
Hi
I am currently doing a project looking at the measurment of engine blow-by. Any information about this tha anyone can give me would be most appreciated. In particuar where does the blow-by go when it comes out the crankcase attached to the engine? thanks for your time
matt

in my car (lancer evo 8) the blow-by goes into the intake after the MAF. through the turbo, intercooler, throttle body, and the blow by is burnt in the engine. admittedly this coats the intercooler in oil - decreasing its efficiency, which can be solved with a catch can.

Where the blowby gases go depends on the engine design. Some (as mshinavar stated) feed the gas back into the inlet tract of the engine. Some vent the gases to the atmosphere directly, or through a filtration and oil separation system.

Depends on the engine.

FAQ: Background information on engine blow-by

1. What is engine blow-by?

Engine blow-by is a term used to describe the gases that escape from the combustion chamber of an internal combustion engine, and enter the crankcase. It is a common occurrence and is caused by the pressure and heat generated during the combustion process.

2. What are the symptoms of engine blow-by?

The symptoms of engine blow-by include excessive smoke coming from the exhaust, a decrease in engine power and performance, increased oil consumption, and a noticeable increase in oil levels on the dipstick.

3. What causes engine blow-by?

Engine blow-by is primarily caused by worn piston rings or cylinders, which allow combustion gases to escape into the crankcase instead of being forced out through the exhaust. Other possible causes include worn or damaged valve seals, a clogged PCV valve, or a damaged or malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system.

4. How can engine blow-by be prevented?

To prevent engine blow-by, it is important to regularly maintain your engine and replace worn or damaged parts, such as piston rings, cylinders, and valve seals. It is also important to change your engine oil and filter regularly to prevent build-up of contaminants that can contribute to blow-by. Additionally, ensuring proper engine ventilation and using high-quality fuel can help prevent blow-by.

5. Can engine blow-by be fixed?

In most cases, engine blow-by can be fixed by repairing or replacing the worn or damaged parts causing the issue. However, if the blow-by is severe or has caused significant damage to the engine, it may require a complete engine rebuild or replacement. It is important to address blow-by as soon as possible to prevent further damage and maintain the performance of your engine.

Back