Chem 2, Cell diagrams for oxidation/reduction reactions

In summary, the conversation is about determining the anode and cathode in a cell diagram and balancing the equation. The attempt at a solution includes two possible unbalanced equations and a discussion about which metal would prefer to be reduced based on a table of reduction potentials. The correct equation is determined using the diagonal rule and a question about the negative EMF is addressed, explaining that a reaction will still occur as long as the potential difference is not zero.
CausativeAgent

Homework Statement

All I'm trying to do is translate the cell diagram below into a into a an equation so I can determine which is the anode and which is the cathode. Here is the cell diagram. I know how to balance it, I just want to make sure I'm putting reactants and products on their correct sides:

Al/ Al+3 // CU+2 / CU

The Attempt at a Solution

The unbalanced equation from the diagram above is Either Al+Cu+2--->Al+3 +Cu or

Cu+Al+3---->Cu+2+Al

In the first case Aluminum is the cathode because it reduces the copper ion to copper metal, and Copper is the anode because it oxides aluminum metal to the aluminum ion. In the second case it's the opposite. Assuming the last two statements are correct, my only problem here is figuring out which equation is represented by the cell diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to know which metal would rather be reduced compared to the other. Look in the table of reduction potentials. Best guess without looking is that the copper would rather more be reduced than the aluminum. Check how you find those in the table and see which has the larger reduction potential.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. So using the table and the diagnoal rule the correct equation is:
Al+Cu+2--->Al+3 +Cu

But this leads me to another question. When I find the standard EMF of the cell using E cathode minus E anode (E Aluminum minus E Copper) I get a negative number, meaning the reaction will not occur. The rest of the problem I'm trying to do seems to assume that the reaction takes place.

CausativeAgent said:
I get a negative number, meaning the reaction will not occur.

No, reaction takes place as long as this difference is not zero. When the reaction takes place potential of one half-cell goes up (Nernst equation), of the second goes down - till they are both the same. Then - and only then - system is at theromodynamic equilibrium.

1. What is a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction?

A cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction is a visual representation of the redox reaction occurring in an electrochemical cell. It shows the reactants and products, as well as the flow of electrons and direction of current.

2. How do you read a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction?

To read a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction, start from the left side and identify the reactants. The reactants on the left are typically the anode, where oxidation occurs. Then, move to the right side and identify the products. The products on the right are usually the cathode, where reduction takes place. The direction of the arrow shows the flow of electrons, and the vertical line represents the salt bridge or porous barrier between the two compartments.

3. Can you explain the notation used in a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction?

The notation used in a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction follows the format: Anode | Anode Solution || Cathode Solution | Cathode. The single vertical line represents the boundary between the anode and cathode compartments, and the double vertical lines represent the salt bridge or porous barrier. The anode is written on the left side and the cathode on the right side. If the reaction takes place in a solid-state, the solid is placed in brackets [] on the appropriate side. For example, [Fe(s)] would be placed on the left side if iron is the anode.

4. What is the purpose of a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction?

The purpose of a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction is to provide a visual representation of the redox reaction occurring in an electrochemical cell. It helps to easily identify the reactants, products, and direction of electron flow. It is also helpful in predicting the potential of the cell and understanding the underlying chemistry of the reaction.

5. Can a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction be used to calculate the cell potential?

Yes, a cell diagram for an oxidation/reduction reaction can be used to calculate the cell potential. The standard cell potential of a redox reaction can be determined by subtracting the standard reduction potential of the cathode from the standard oxidation potential of the anode. The cell potential can also be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products.