Find the value of L. Answer in units of

In summary, the conversation discusses a series RLC circuit with a resonance frequency of 1360/ Hz. The problem involves finding the value of L in mH when the circuit is operating at a frequency of ! > !0, with XL = 9.7 and XC = 9.3. The equation used is X(L)=w*L and the attempt at a solution involves dividing by w and converting to mH, but the answer was incorrect. The link provided offers examples for solving similar problems.
mba444

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit has a resonance fre-
quency of 1360/ Hz. When it is operating
at a frequency of ! > !0, XL = 9.7
and
XC = 9.3
Find the value of L. Answer in units of
mH.

Homework Equations

X(L)=w*L

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did is that i solved for L by dividing by w
L= X/w therefore i got 0.00227 .. then i multiplied it by 10^-3 since they wanted it in mH

but i got a wrong answer .. can someone explain for me where am i going wrong

thanx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct, but there may be a mistake in your calculation. Here is the correct solution:

We know that at resonance, XL = XC. So we can set them equal to each other and solve for L:

XL = XC
wL = 1/wC
L = 1/w^2C

We are given the resonance frequency, which is 1360/ Hz. We can convert this to radians per second by multiplying by 2:

w = 2*1360/ = 2720 rad/s

We are also given the value of XC, which is 9.3 . We can convert this to capacitance by using the formula XC = 1/wC:

9.3 = 1/(2720*C)
C = 1/(2720*9.3) = 3.62*10^-5 F

Now we can plug in our values for w and C into the formula for L:

L = 1/(2720)^2 * 3.62*10^-5
L = 1.036 * 10^-8 H

Finally, we can convert this to millihenries by multiplying by 1000:

L = 1.036 * 10^-8 * 1000 = 10.36 mH

So the value of L is 10.36 mH.

1. What does "Find the value of L" mean?

"Find the value of L" is a phrase often used in scientific contexts to ask for the numerical value of a variable or parameter. In other words, it is asking for the specific number or measurement of the variable L.

2. How do I find the value of L?

The process of finding the value of L will depend on the specific context and equation being used. In general, it involves using the given information and manipulating equations to solve for L. This may involve algebraic or numerical methods.

3. What units should the value of L be in?

The units of the value of L will depend on the units of the other variables and parameters in the equation. It is important to pay attention to the units in order to ensure the final answer is in the correct units and is physically meaningful.

4. Can L have a negative value?

Yes, depending on the context, L can have a negative value. For example, in physics, displacement can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion. It is important to pay attention to the context to determine if L can have a negative value.

5. What do I do if I can't find the value of L?

If you are unable to find the value of L, double-check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. If you are still unable to find the value, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to additional resources for guidance.