What is the angle for perfect light blockage through a polarizer?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the placement of polarizers and their effects on unpolarized light. It is determined that in order for no light to pass through the second polarizer, it should be placed at an angle of 123 degrees from the horizontal axis. To only allow a third of the light to pass through, the second polarizer should be placed at an angle of 87.7 degrees from the horizontal axis. There seems to be some confusion about the equation and the final angle, but the general concept is understood.
Cade

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light passes through a polarizer oriented at 33 degrees from the horizontal axis.

1) At what angle (relative to the horizontal axis) would you place a polarizer so that no light passes through it?
2) At what angle (relative to the horizontal axis) would you place a polarizer so that only a third of the light from the

Homework Equations

Malus' law
I/I0 = cos(θ)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Light into the second polarizer is polarized at an angle of 33 degrees. No light will pass through the second polarizer if the difference in angles is 90°, so the second polarizer should be at an angle of 90° + 33° = 123°.

2)
[itex]\frac{1}{3}= cos(θ)^{2}[/itex] where θ is the difference in angles between the two polarizers.
[itex]θ difference = arccos(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}})[/itex]
[itex]θ_{final} - θ{_initial} = arccos(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}})[/itex]
[itex]θ_{final} - 33° = arccos(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}})[/itex]
θ = 54.7° + 33° = 87.7° from the horizontal axis

But my instructor says that the left-hand side of the equation is [itex]θ_{final} - θ{_initial}[/itex], which results in θ = 54.7° - 33°, so I'm confused now... have I done these two correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a physics problem, not math so I am moving it.

I'm sorry, I must have been looking at the wrong section when I posted it.

What is a polarizer and how does it work?

A polarizer is an optical filter that blocks certain angles or orientations of light waves. It works by allowing only light waves that vibrate in a specific direction to pass through, while blocking those that vibrate in a perpendicular direction.

What happens to light as it passes through a polarizer?

As light passes through a polarizer, it becomes polarized. This means that all the light waves are vibrating in the same direction, creating a uniform orientation of light rays.

What is the difference between polarized and unpolarized light?

Unpolarized light is light that contains a mixture of different orientations of light waves. This means that the light rays are vibrating in random directions. In contrast, polarized light has all the light waves vibrating in the same direction.

Can polarized light be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, polarized light can be seen with the naked eye. When polarized light is viewed through a polarizer, it appears darker because the filter is blocking some of the light waves. This effect can be observed when looking at certain objects, such as LCD screens or sunglasses, through a polarizer.

What are some applications of polarizers?

Polarizers have a wide range of applications, including reducing glare on reflective surfaces, improving visibility in certain lighting conditions, and creating 3D images. They are also used in photography, LCD screens, and optical devices such as microscopes and telescopes.