Cleaving Bonds using radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using radiation to cleave the O-H bonds of a water molecule. The bond dissociation energy of the O-H bond is 460 kJ/mole, and since there are two bonds, it would be 920 kJ/mole. The equation E = hc/λ can be used to find the wavelength needed, but it may not be practical as it would require a very low wavelength, even lower than a gamma ray. Photolysis is a potential method to break down water or other compounds, but it may also produce radicals and side products. Additional terms to research are water radiolysis and photochemistry.
member 392791
Hello,

I was wondering how I could go about finding the wavelength of light that would cleave the O-H bonds of a water molecule.

I looked up the bond dissociation energy of the O-H bond, and it is 460 kJ/mole.

Now, since there are two O-H bonds, it should be twice as much, 920 kJ/mole.

Would the correct equation to use to find the wavelength to dissociate the bonds be

E = hc/λ?

That E is usually the energy to promote an electron to a higher energy level, but I wonder if it can be used in this case. When I did it, I found the wavelength to be on the order of 10^-25 meters, so something with a far lower wavelength than even a gamma ray. Is cleaving a chemical bond using radiation feasible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It may be better to consider bond strength per molecule, not per mole. But yes, radiation can be used to cleave bonds.

Cleaving bonds with EM radiation is possible, but not for every case and it is not always practical.

For your specific example you can look for papers dealing with water radiolysis. Gamma irradiated water is known to make radicals the infamous one being the hydroxyl radical, which is formally a homolytic cleavage of an OH bond.

More terms to use to learn about this type of thing would be photochemistry.

I am trying to figure out if I can use photolysis to break down water or some other compound (hydrogen peroxide) to form H2 and O2 without the radicals and other side products. Anyone have some literature of what I can do for this and what wavelength I need to cleave the bonds.

Also, is that calculation the proper way to find the wavelength with enough energy to cleave the bond. I am not sure if that just has to do with promoting electrons to higher energy orbitals.

1. How does radiation cleave bonds?

Radiation can cause the formation of reactive species, such as free radicals, which can break chemical bonds in molecules. This can happen through a process called homolytic cleavage, where the bond is split evenly between the two atoms, or heterolytic cleavage, where one atom retains both electrons from the bond.

2. What types of radiation can be used for cleaving bonds?

Various types of radiation, such as UV light, X-rays, and gamma rays, can be used for cleaving bonds. The type of radiation used depends on the specific bonds being targeted and the properties of the molecules involved.

3. What are the potential applications of cleaving bonds using radiation?

Cleaving bonds using radiation can be used in a variety of fields, including medicine, materials science, and environmental remediation. Specific applications include drug development, polymer synthesis, and water purification.

4. Are there any risks associated with using radiation to cleave bonds?

Like any use of radiation, there are potential risks involved, such as potential damage to surrounding molecules or tissues. It is important to use appropriate safety measures and protocols when working with radiation for bond cleavage.

5. Can radiation cleave any type of bond?

No, radiation does not have the ability to selectively cleave any type of bond. The specific bonds that can be cleaved depend on the energy and properties of the radiation used, as well as the nature of the bonds in the molecules being targeted.