How does temperature affect the position of interference fringes in thin slits?

• Thread starter doctordiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interference
In summary, the question asks how the position of the first interference dark fringes changes when a thin sheet of brass with two parallel slits is heated from room temperature to 135 degrees. Using the coefficient of linear expansion for brass, the change in angle can be found by taking the differential of the equation w sinθ=λ/2. This results in an expression for dθ, which can then be solved for the change in angle. The answer should be expressed using two significant figures.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

A very thin sheet of brass contains two thin parallel slits. When a laser beam shines on these slits at normal incidence and room temperature (20.0 ), the first interference dark fringes occur at 32.5 from the original direction of the laser beam when viewed from some distance.
If this sheet is now slowly heated up to 135 , by how many degrees do these dark fringes change position? Coefficient of linear expansion for brass .Ignore any effects that might occur due to change in the thickness of the slits. (Hint: Since thermal expansion normally produces very small changes in length, you can use differentials to find the change in the angle.)
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to find delta d, the distance between the two paths

I found it to be equal to dsin(32.5), where d is the distance between the 2 slits

I think that this is equal to

dsin(32.5)=λ/2 (because it asks for dark fringes so destructive interference)

Here is where I start to get lost.

I think that the addition of heat will cause the distance to change to

d2=d(1+(α)ΔT) where i used α as coefficient of linear expansion

I then tried to say that

dsin(32.5)=d(1+(α)ΔT)sinθ

However I am stuck because i do not know two variables, d and θ.

Did I make a mistake or do i have the wrong method?

Can someone help me out please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try following the hint about taking differentials. Unfortunately "d" is the symbol for the differential operator and it's also the symbol for the distance between the slits. Suppose you use "w" for the distance between the slits. Then your equation for the first min is

## w sin\theta=\lambda/2##

As the temperature changes both ##w## and ##\theta## change while ##\lambda## remains constant. What expression do you get if you take the differential of both sides of ## w sin\theta=\lambda/2## ? Can you sove it for ##d\theta##?

Last edited:

1. What is interference in thin slits?

Interference in thin slits is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of light overlap and produce a pattern of light and dark bands. This occurs when the waves pass through narrow slits that are close together, causing the waves to interfere with each other.

2. How does interference in thin slits work?

Interference in thin slits occurs because of the superposition principle, which states that when two waves overlap, their amplitudes add together. This results in areas of constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, and areas of destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

3. What are some real-life applications of interference in thin slits?

Interference in thin slits is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in technologies like diffraction gratings, which are used in spectroscopy to separate different wavelengths of light.

4. How is the interference pattern affected by the distance between the slits?

The distance between the slits, known as the slit spacing, directly affects the interference pattern. As the slit spacing decreases, the interference pattern becomes more spread out, with more light and dark bands. Conversely, as the slit spacing increases, the interference pattern becomes more compact.

5. Can interference in thin slits occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, interference in thin slits can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves and water waves. However, the specific patterns and behaviors may differ depending on the properties of the waves, such as wavelength and frequency.