What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,291
I found a fun little educational site on the science of cooking. I thought I'd share. It's the Accidental Scientist - Science of Cooking series.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/index.html

For those of you that are thinking of baking bread, or just curious, click on the Bread video at the link below, lots of fun facts. The audience does actually come alive toward the end of the clip, I was worried .for a while. :tongue2:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/bread_cast.html

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,292
Evo said:
I found a fun little educational site on the science of cooking. I thought I'd share. It's the Accidental Scientist - Science of Cooking series.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/index.html

For those of you that are thinking of baking bread, or just curious, click on the Bread video at the link below, lots of fun facts. The audience does actually come alive toward the end of the clip, I was worried .for a while. :tongue2:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/bread_cast.html
Peer Reviewed cooking now? :biggrin:

• #3,293
dlgoff said:
peer reviewed cooking now? :biggrin:
lol!

• #3,294
dlgoff said:
Peer Reviewed cooking now? :biggrin:

Indeed, I demand that everyone send me their food so that I can give it an independent and fair *burp*... analysis.

• #3,295
Anyone like white navy beans? My dad loved them and would make them whenever he was home. I never cared for them as they have a very bland taste.

I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?

• #3,296
Evo said:
Anyone like white navy beans? My dad loved them and would make them whenever he was home. I never cared for them as they have a very bland taste.

I'm trying to find something *different* from my normal ham hocks and bean soup and found a recipe for navy beans with hocks, or should I do black eyed peas or green split pea soup?

I LOVE white navy beans! I like to cook them and make a warm salad (works chilled), with sliced onion, tomatos, cucumber, and anything else I can find, with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.

I think you may find that if you allow the beans to really soak up the ham-fat, they'll be more along the lines of what you want. That said... slit pea is pretty terrific in this kind of weather...

• #3,297
Evo said:

Ham with pease pudding is a classic combination and very tasty.It goes well with a fried egg,onion chutney and crusty bread.

• #3,298
Dadface said:
Ham with pease pudding is a classic combination and very tasty.It goes well with a fried egg,onion chutney and crusty bread.

Oh god, that' so good! I sometimes sub cannelloni beans and "deconstruct", but nothing beats the classics. Bread and soup are a perfect combination... the rest makes it even better.

• #3,299
Evo said:
Try to find whole yellow peas. They soak up less water, so you end up with soup instead of thick "glop". Put the peas in a pan of cool water and bring to a boil, then shut off the burner and let them sit, covered. When the peas are al dente, add chopped carrots, chopped onions, minced garlic and diced ham or bacon and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until you can't stand waiting any more. If you have crusty home-made bread, that will top off the meal.

• #3,300
I don't have yellow peas and there is a snowstorm, so Nismar wins this round with navy beans.

I am making the famous Senate Bean Soup.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe

2 pounds dried navy beans

four quarts hot water

1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste

Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,301
Evo said:
I don't have yellow peas and there is a snowstormj, so Nismar wins this round with navy beans.

four quarts hot water

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste

Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

Mmmmm... a fine choice, wisely made by nature! I'd feel more victorious if it didn't sound like you'd be in it for yellow beans if the storm weren't a factor... :wink:

• #3,302
My mother never made pea soup with split peas, only whole yellow peas. It makes all the difference. Depending on how flush the food-budget was, she made it with a ham-bone, ham-hock, bacon, or salt port, but there was always a bit of pig-meat in there. Carrots and onions were a given, and if celery was available, that would go in, too, along with some minced garlic and basic seasonings. Whole yellow peas were cheap and a good way to feed a big family. Traditionally, French-Canadians would serve up pea soup with johnny-cake (lightly-sweetened corn-bread) though we had light flaky pastry biscuits or yeast-rolls more often.

Last edited:
  • #3,303
Split pea soup.

Blegh. If I wanted a bowlful of sand, I'd go make a mudpie.

• #3,304
Evo said:
I don't have yellow peas and there is a snowstorm, so Nismar wins this round with navy beans.

four quarts hot water

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste

Dang snow storm. It's keeping me from coming there for some of that. :cry:

• #3,305
dlgoff said:
Dang snow storm. It's keeping me from coming there for some of that. :cry:
I made cornbread too! As Evo Child would say if she was here "mommy! what smells so good?".

You bring the beer and I'll cook dl.

How much snow have you gotten, a few hours ago the weather service said we had over 6 inches here.

Last edited:
  • #3,306
I've shoveled snow twice today and it's ready for another round. It looks like I had about 6-8 inches.

Cornbread too? :!)

• #3,307
dlgoff said:
I've shoveled snow twice today and it's ready for another round. It looks like I had about 6-8 inches.

Cornbread too? :!)
When I was a kid I often heard "pea soup and johnny cake make a Frenchman's belly ache". It was a standard pairing. I preferred biscuits or yeast rolls to the corn bread, but we got the "johnny cake" from time to time. The French-Canadians in my family typically added carrots, onions, and a few other vegetables to the pea soup, along with some form of pork, even if it was only a few slices of salt pork. Depression-era foods served us well.

• #3,308
turbo-1 said:
When I was a kid I often heard "pea soup and johnny cake make a Frenchman's belly ache". It was a standard pairing. I preferred biscuits or yeast rolls to the corn bread, but we got the "johnny cake" from time to time. The French-Canadians in my family typically added carrots, onions, and a few other vegetables to the pea soup, along with some form of pork, even if it was only a few slices of salt pork. Depression-era foods served us well.

I love 'em... but you know, a Johnny Cake is really of Native American origin... think a very rough maize pancake. Needless to say the french do NOT leave culinary matters, "rough," and that goes for Canadians as well in my experience. Now I'd have to say "hoe cake" in particular to conjure the image of what I described... I love culinary evolution... we lose little and gain so much!

For the record, I'd rather eat your version more often, but do yourself a favor, make a few of these and bust out the maple syrup! BAM! Sorry... carried away...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-johnny-cake.htm (describes the hoe cake simply as cornmeal, water, salt... I sometimes add a bit of fresh corn off the cob for texture and moisture. Fry on a griddle... drench in maple syrup and make happy sounds.

I stumbled across this as well...

Uncle Phaedrus said:
Johnny Cake
----- Original Message -----
To: Phaedrus
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 9:30 PM
Subject: Johnny Cake

> The term Johnny cake was used in a class I am taking. It was referred to
as a term used to describe corn bread by people who live in the Boston
area. This was news to me as Johnny CAke is a term I heard used by people in
the Carribean to describe a delicious bread. It does not contain any corn
meal at all.
>
> Any insight on this one is appreciated?

Hello Camille,

Well, both of these breads are believed to have been originally called "journey-cakes" because they could be taken with a traveler to be eaten as needed. New England Johnny-cakes are more like a cornmeal pancake, whereas Caribbean johnny-cakes are more like a flour dumpling or fritter. You can't really say that one contains only cornmeal and one contains only flour, though. I found that some New England recipes are mostly cornmeal but with some flour, and I found some Caribbean recipes that were mostly flour but contain a little cornmeal.. The early settlers of New England were taught to make cornmeal johnny-cakes by the native Americans of the area as far back as the 17th century. So, Native Americans were likely making johnny-cakes (although they didn't call them that) before Columbus discovered America. I could not find an exact origin for Caribbean johnny-cakes. Being made with flour, it's not likely that they pre-existed colonial days, at least not in America.

However, it's also possible that the name "journey cake" originally referred to something that the English settlers knew back in England. Perhaps they just transferred the name to the Indian cornmal cakes in New England.

Phaed

West Indies JOHNNY CAKE or FRIED DUMPLINGS
(Journey Cakes)
INGREDIENTS
8 oz Wholemeal flour
11/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 oz unsalted soy margarine
Cold water
Vegetable oil for frying

METHOD
1. Sift the flour and baking powder together.
2. Rub in the margarine until well blended.
3. Gradually add cold water to the mixture the ingredients bind to form a
stiff dough.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.
5. Divide the mixture, shape into balls and flatten slightly.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy frying pan and fry the dumplings until
brown on both sides.
Makes approximately 8
-------------------------------------
New England Johnny Cakes

(Flat Cornbread Pancake)

Ingredients
2 cup white fine ground corn meal
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
2 cup boiling water or hot milk
butter or oil

Mix the cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the
cornmeal and stir. Let the mixture stand for about five minutes. If the
mixture is too thick to spread in the pan, add one to two tablespoons of
water.
Heat a lightly greased skillet or griddle. Pour the mixture into the
skillet. You can cook the entire recipe at once or you can make small cakes.

Cook at medium heat for about 5 minutes.
@http://hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m1024F03.htm#2

• #3,309
When it comes to ham and beans with cornbread, this goes right over the cornbread:

pintos.jpg

That does it. I'm soaking some beans tonight.

• #3,310
dlgoff said:
When it comes to ham and beans with cornbread, this goes right over the cornbread:

pintos.jpg

That looks like my beans.

• #3,311
Yeah... I've never been so in the mood for beans! I think I have some kidney beans in my pantry, and I always keep salt-pork... what the hell. PF is going to be a very stinky place tomorrow with all of this legume-love.

• #3,312
dlgoff said:

pintos.jpg

*lisab thinks: if i leave tonight (speed limit X 1.15), i think i can be at Don's by dinnertime tomorrow...:biggrin:*

*lisab thinks some more: and drop by Evo's for left overs...:approve:*

• #3,313
lisab said:
*lisab thinks: if i leave tonight (speed limit X 1.15), i think i can be at Don's by dinnertime tomorrow...:biggrin:*

Come on over lisab, there's way more than the fruit bat and I can eat!

• #3,314
lisab said:

Right?!

*Looks at beans*
:!):!):!)

edit: 1.15x speed limit?! Beans to that... try 10% c.

• #3,315
I'm having some delicious beans now :biggrin: I should take a pic :tongue2:

• #3,316
HeLiXe said:
I'm having some delicious beans now :biggrin: I should take a pic :tongue2:

And not a sound recording?

• #3,317
Borek said:
Just think if we could harness that power. :tongue2:

• #3,318
Evo said:
Just think if we could harness that power. :tongue2:

Well... this IS Physics Forums... let's harness those poots and fly into the skyyyyyyy... :tongue:

• #3,319
Borek said:

:rofl:
I actually did take a pic, I'll have to post it later :)

• #3,320
nismaratwork said:
Well... this IS Physics Forums... let's harness those poots and fly into the skyyyyyyy... :tongue:
No beans here, but I had pea soup for breakfast and should be able to contribute. :tongue:

• #3,321
turbo-1 said:
No beans here, but I had pea soup for breakfast and should be able to contribute. :tongue:

Heh... and to reference myself in another thread (lame jokes), tonight you'll... pee soup. :biggrin:

• #3,322
lisab said:

And Lacy visites the food thread for the first time and rushes the computer moniter out into the hallway, down the elevator and out into the street!

We do actually make something similar called cholent with chicken or beef. It cooks over night so one can have hot food on days one might not be cooking. :rolleyes:

• #3,323
Lacy33 said:
And Lacy visites the food thread for the first time and rushes the computer moniter out into the hallway, down the elevator and out into the street!

We do actually make something similar called cholent with chicken or beef. It cooks over night so one can have hot food on days one might not be cooking. :rolleyes:

Cholent... um... You're Kosher then!... and strictly so from your first sentence.

What a welcome to the food thread! Here's a more salutary image for the Kosher soul.

tzimmes-L.jpg

Last edited:
  • #3,324
nismaratwork said:
Cholent... um... You're Kosher then!... and strictly so from your first sentence.

What a welcome to the food thread! Here's a more salutary image for the Kosher soul.

tzimmes-L.jpg

You know, I don't really know what to think about that spread, as it doesn't look very appetizing.

However! I would most certainly dig in! It's just what a guest is expected to do. :)

Are those olives?

• #3,325
mugaliens said:
You know, I don't really know what to think about that spread, as it doesn't look very appetizing.

However! I would most certainly dig in! It's just what a guest is expected to do. :)

Are those olives?

:rofl: Well, I know what religion you were NOT raised in. I had a lovely girlfriend many years ago who was Jewish, and this dish (in a more appetizing form... bad picture hastily obtained sorry!) 'Carrot Tzimmes' (sp?) was served on some holidays. I got hooked on the things, and um... not olives, but prunes. I realize that for some, that's six of one and a half dozen of the other as far as eating is concerned, but it taste GREAT!

I've never eaten better chicken either, but boy did that relationship fail. *wince* (not for religious reasons, obviously, with my atheist behind)