What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,256
Mmm! Here is supper, breakfast and lunch. Over a foot long and 5" wide, loaded with mushrooms, ripe olives, green peppers, jalapeno rings, onions, lettuce, kosher dill slices, cheese and tomato. I have to cut it into manageable pieces just to be able to eat it. Three meals for $5.99. The local butcher shop added a deli, and they are making a name for themselves.

vegetableItalian.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,257
turbo-1 said:
Mmm! Here is supper, breakfast and lunch. Over a foot long and 5" wide, loaded with mushrooms, ripe olives, green peppers, jalapeno rings, onions, lettuce, kosher dill slices, cheese and tomato. I have to cut it into manageable pieces just to be able to eat it. Three meals for $5.99. The local butcher shop added a deli, and they are making a name for themselves.

vegetableItalian.jpg

That is just sexy.

• #3,258
Nice veggie sub! I prefer meat though.

Here's half of my 2 foot long $4.98 sub, and yes, that meat is over an inch thick all two feet. Wish it wasn't blurred.

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2218/002tx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,259
Evo said:

Here's half of my 2 foot long $4.98 sub, and yes, that meat is over an inch thick all two feet. Wish it wasn't blurred.

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2218/002tx.jpg[/QUOTE]

You don't play around when it comes to your protein sources huh?!

I just had a delicious oven-baked meatball and penne thing... yum.

Now I want a hoagie...

• #3,260
Evo said:
One of my un-favorite Rachel Raye-isms! I love vegetable subs, especially with lots of chilies, mushrooms, ripe olives, etc. Tracy doesn't scrimp on those expensive ingredients. She's only about 2 miles from a Subway, that will be doomed once the word gets out.

• #3,261
turbo-1 said:
One of my un-favorite Rachel Raye-isms! I love vegetable subs, especially with lots of chilies, mushrooms, ripe olives, etc. Tracy doesn't scrimp on those expensive ingredients. She's only about 2 miles from a Subway, that will be doomed once the word gets out.

Veggie subs are my favorite! As a kid, I used to just like them with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, and cheese. Now yours looks like something I'd happily inhale... and the olives... ahhhh.

• #3,262
nismaratwork said:
Veggie subs are my favorite! As a kid, I used to just like them with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, and cheese. Now yours looks like something I'd happily inhale... and the olives... ahhhh.
Aghhh! Now you're doing it! One of my pet peeves!

• #3,263
turbo-1 said:
I wouldn't buy anything from subway, they're too stingy. Jimmy Johns and Walmart are the best IMO.

What would have made that veggie sub good would be grilled vegetables. Now THAT would have made a great sub! You might want to suggest that to her, a sub of toppings without the meat might not pull people in.

• #3,264
Evo said:
I wouldn't buy anything from subway, they're too stingy. Jimmy Johns and Walmart are the best IMO.
After the expansion is concluded, WalMart might have sandwiches. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trust buying sandwiches from them any more than I would trust buying salads from a grocery chain with a produce department. If it's old or partially spoiled, it's prime for the salad bar. The produce department manager's salary and bonuses are highly dependent on reducing the amount of produce that (s)he has to discard.

• #3,265
Evo said:
What would have made that veggie sub good would be grilled vegetables. Now THAT would have made a great sub! You might want to suggest that to her, a sub of toppings without the meat might not pull people in.
Tracy does a good job on subs that feature meat, and she really packs them. My wife had a meatball sub tonight with tomato sauce, and it looked and smelled fantastic. Tracy and her husband make all their own sausages, and smoke hams, bacon, etc, in their own smoke-house. It's hard to beat that. If you order a BLT at her shop, the bacon was smoked in their own smoke-house, and the vegetables came in fresh daily, as did the rolls. That's a lot better than ordering a sandwich at a supermarket.

• #3,266
turbo-1 said:
After the expansion is concluded, WalMart might have sandwiches. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trust buying sandwiches from them any more than I would trust buying salads from a grocery chain with a produce department. If it's old or partially spoiled, it's prime for the salad bar. The produce department manager's salary and bonuses are highly dependent on reducing the amount of produce that (s)he has to discard.
Nah, they have a fully staffed deli, with prime meats and cheeses, fresh produce, they bake the bread there fresh daily.

I sent Evo Chiild to Walmart to get me an Italian sub, she was disgusted. When I opened it up, she was amazed, so she asked for some, then she asked for half of it. Good quality at a phenomenal price. I'd say it's my secret, but you have to get there early before they sell out. :frown: They make a limited amount each day.

• #3,267
turbo-1 said:
Tracy does a good job on subs that feature meat, and she really packs them.
:approve: Now you're talking. Your sandwich with a little turkey... :!)

• #3,268
dlgoff said:
:approve: Now you're talking. Your sandwich with a little turkey... :!)
She has locally-raised turkey. Their strong point is locally-raised grass-fed Angus beef. The meat there is incredible.

I have been trying to keep my cholesterol and my weight constant (very healthy for me at this point) but a weekly infusion of Tracy's cheese-steak sandwiches would sabotage that.

• #3,269
Dang. I could live with the snow for that.

• #3,270
turbo-1 said:
Tracy does a good job on subs that feature meat, and she really packs them. My wife had a meatball sub tonight with tomato sauce, and it looked and smelled fantastic. Tracy and her husband make all their own sausages, and smoke hams, bacon, etc, in their own smoke-house. It's hard to beat that. If you order a BLT at her shop, the bacon was smoked in their own smoke-house, and the vegetables came in fresh daily, as did the rolls. That's a lot better than ordering a sandwich at a supermarket.

That sounds like an awesome sandwich shop, do you do mail order requests?

Attachments

• M05MouthWatering.gif
    M05MouthWatering.gif
    132.5 KB · Views: 395
  • #3,271
Jasongreat said:
That sounds like an awesome sandwich shop, do you do mail order requests?
I can pass your contact information on to Tracy, if you wish. I don't know if she will ship. She's a great fan of "cut it fresh", "make it now", and "get it out the door". Her sandwiches are fantastic.

• #3,272
turbo-1 said:
That's a common misconception. Anyone can smoke their own meat doesn't mean it's anything special. This deli uses award winning meats and cheeses.

The greatest thing is finding great food at incredible prices where you'd least expect it. Like the deli at a grocery store or the counter at a gas station. These are the places that amazing foods are being discovered. You just need to realize that it doesn't have to be some specialty boutique.

Down the road from here, the gas station owner sets up a smokepit in the parking lot during the summer and makes the best smoked meat.

• #3,273
turbo-1 said:
Aghhh! Now you're doing it! One of my pet peeves!

Hey, I was doing it before that little... woman... had a show, never mind "isms". Plus, it's fun to tweak you! :biggrin:

• #3,274
Evo said:
That's a common misconception. Anyone can smoke their own meat doesn't mean it's anything special. This deli uses award winning meats and cheeses.

The greatest thing is finding great food at incredible prices where you'd least expect it. Like the deli at a grocery store or the counter at a gas station. These are the places that amazing foods are being discovered. You just need to realize that it doesn't have to be some specialty boutique.

Down the road from here, the gas station owner sets up a smokepit in the parking lot during the summer and makes the best smoked meat.
No misconception here. The Kniffens have produced superior smoked meats for decades. This is not a fad. Their whole life is built around their smoking and butcher shop and retail establishment. They are good people trying to do their best at serving local needs for decent foods. There is no place here where you can access a local deli or a food-counter at a gas-station that has equivalent foods. You can assert that all day long, but that does not make that true here.

Some people put their hearts and their lives into their work. When their work is food, I pay attention because that was brought up that way.

• #3,275
turbo-1 said:
No misconception here. The Kniffens have produced superior smoked meats for decades. This is not a fad. Their whole life is built around their smoking and butcher shop and retail establishment. They are good people trying to do their best at serving local needs for decent foods. There is no place here where you can access a local deli or a food-counter at a gas-station that has equivalent foods. You can assert that all day long, but that does not make that true here.

Some people put their hearts and their lives into their work. When their work is food, I pay attention because that was brought up that way.
I'm sure they are great. But that doesn't mean that the deli's I go to for 1/3 the cost aren't just as great. :smile: There are some things i'll pay more for if it's warranted. Plus, I realize that things must cost a lot more up where you are. You send me one of yours and I'll send you one of mine.

Last edited:
  • #3,276
Evo said:
I'm sure they are great. But that doesn't mean that the deli's I go to for 1/3 the cost aren't just as great. :smile: There are some things i'll pay more for if it's warranted. Plus, I realize that things must cost a lot more up where you are. You send me one of yours and I'll send you one of mine.

That won't work since your both biased, why don't you both send me one, an impartial judge, and I will decide. :wink:

• #3,277
Jasongreat said:
That won't work since your both biased, why don't you both send me one, an impartial judge, and I will decide. :wink:
Sounds like a good idea.

• #3,278
Here you go. This woman is a killer. You want food? She is full-on food. You want a combination pizza that weights over 6 pounds? You can't get that at pizza hut.

http://www.svweekly.com/joom1511/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4674:kniffins-is-smokin-again&catid=6:business&Itemid=177

• #3,279
I want the corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli, in NY. OMG.

[PLAIN]http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/00/a5/c67522d27fed1a3c_m.jpg

Open since 1937 a landmark.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

• #3,280
Evo said:

Meeeeemmmmmoooooorrriiiiieeeessssss...

I was eating a hot pastrami sammy there, with a giant garlic pickle, about 2 months ago. The Carnegie never changes, so loosen up those jaws because it never should change. The only problem is that too many people ignore the huge number of much less known delis that litter the landscape. I recommend just eating all cured meats you can find... you know... to be safe. :biggrin:

• #3,281
Oh yeah, tip: save your leftover sandwich, or buy an extra... then use the corned beef or pastrami the next day in some homemade hash, or a scramble. YUM.

• #3,283
Evo said:
I want a Buddha's hand. I doubt they will ever come to Kansas.

http://gastronofique.com/blog/?p=86

Weird looking thing isn't it? Tell you what, how about I ship you a tonne of Durian Fruits instead? :devil:

• #3,284
nismaratwork said:
Weird looking thing isn't it? Tell you what, how about I ship you a tonne of Durian Fruits instead? :devil:
I'll pass.

• #3,285
Evo said:
I'll pass.

Wasn't an offer...
smiley_psychotic_sticker-p217586278362347030qjcl_400.jpg

• #3,286
Evo said:

*drool*

If corned beef is Jewish cuisine's answer to ham...it's a pretty good answer!

• #3,287
nismaratwork said:
Wasn't an offer...
smiley_psychotic_sticker-p217586278362347030qjcl_400.jpg

• #3,288

Right? I swear, I just typed, "psychotic smiley" into google, hit images, and that sucker popped up. I'm so in love... :!)

• #3,289
lisab said:
*drool*

If corned beef is Jewish cuisine's answer to ham...it's a pretty good answer!

It's the answer to everything that mother and chicken soup cannot cure. :wink: