Finding average speed on a velocity vs time graph

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question on finding the average speed of a car in a 10-second interval based on a velocity vs. time graph. The provided graph is for acceleration, not velocity, causing confusion for the person seeking help. They are unsure of which equation to use and are considering using the graph to solve for a different time interval. The conversation also discusses the difference between speed and velocity.
ja!mee
Hello,

Again I find my self struggling on a question I had on a test, as my teacher is a "general studies" teacher, she is not much help with physics.

the question is:

What is the average speed of the car for the 10 second interval?

I have uploaded the graph provided, if you can't see the graph. It is a standard velocity vs time graph. I have done some other searching on the internet, and what I have tried to do was:

(v2+V1 / 2= vavg)t

which did not bring me to the correct answer. I can do the math just fine, I am just not sure what formula I need to be using to find average speed on a velocity Vs. time graph.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• q51.bmp
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,101
Physics news on Phys.org
The graph you enclose is ACCELERATION against time and is for 8secs not 10

a yes... so you see my frustration's with my course...
I realize this graph does not match what is being asked, and since my teacher is on winter break I can not ask her why.

My plan is to just use this graph (which was the one provided for the question) and just solve for the graph... not for the 10 second graph requested. My problem being is that finding speed on a acceleration graph has yet to be covered in the course. So I have no idea which equation to use.

Tell her the question is impossible to solve because she fails to include the velocity at t = 0 and 2 seconds of the time interval she's requesting.

Try to get something from it ! If there is a mistake (I think there is !) and this is a 'standard velocity - time graph' (which makes more sense) then the total distance traveled is the area under the graph which I get to be 16m.
16m covered in 8secs means average speed of 2m/s.
It is not the question as posed but it, at least, shows that you have some idea how to work out average speed.
Don't do nothing !

Hint: there's a difference between speed (what you're asked for) and velocity (which the graph shows). What is it?

*raises hand*

speed is the absolute value of the velocity!

What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and the time it takes to travel a certain distance. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, and the area under the graph represents the object's displacement.

How do you calculate average speed from a velocity vs time graph?

The average speed can be calculated by finding the total distance traveled and dividing it by the total time taken. This can be done by finding the area under the curve on the velocity vs time graph and dividing it by the total time interval.

Can average speed be negative on a velocity vs time graph?

Yes, average speed can be negative on a velocity vs time graph. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction from its initial position.

What does a flat line on a velocity vs time graph represent?

A flat line on a velocity vs time graph represents that the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating and is traveling at a uniform speed throughout its motion.

How does acceleration affect the shape of a velocity vs time graph?

Acceleration affects the shape of a velocity vs time graph by changing the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. A negative slope indicates deceleration or a change in direction.