Producing hydrogen using electrolysis while avoiding chlorine poisoning

In summary: Yes, there is a safe way to produce hydrogen gas without any adverse effects. You would run the vehicles with water first, then the engine would start the electrolysis, and top up the battery (plus storage tank contents remaining of hydrogen from the previous drive out). The hydrogen would then be created and stored in a safe container, and pumped to the engine. The energy from the engine would feed the battery, and the vehicle would be able to
Count Iblis
I want to produce about ten cubic meters of hydrogen gas using electrolysis in my home. How do I make sure the chlorine gas that is also produced is not going to cause problems? :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Count Iblis said:
I want to produce about ten cubic meters of hydrogen gas using electrolysis in my home. How do I make sure the chlorine gas that is also produced is not going to cause problems? :confused:
You necessarily need to use a chloride as electrolyte? You can use sulphuric acid, or sodium hydroxide as well (for example).

Hmm... I *think* that sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda) electrolyte in distilled water. I think that is pretty safe. My next-door neighbor is a grease burner, and currently experimenting with a hydrogen producing contraption in his diesel truck.

How do you plan to store 10 cu meters of Hydrogen gas?

People say that creating enough hydrogen volume to be used as a fuel is just a waste of time, but for the sake of us as potential consumers, and the planet I would love to see someone actually pull this off...

Best of Luck.

-map

I want to make a small hydrogen balloon that can lift a few kg.

So, instead of salt I just use baking soda or caustic soda?

Count Iblis said:
I want to make a small hydrogen balloon that can lift a few kg.

So, instead of salt I just use baking soda or caustic soda?
Yes. However you would do it faster with a chemical reaction; I used Al + Na2CO3 (sodium carbonate = washing soda) in a big glass container, to inflate a small balloon (without weights attached). I used Na2CO3 instead of NaOH (or an acid as HCl) because the reaction is less violent and NaOH doesn't attack glass.
To lift a few kg, a small balloon is not enough, you need a big balloon; I'm sure you can make the computation yourself.
(Of course, be careful not to approach any flame or hot object to the balloon, even because the sealing is never perfect).

Producing hydrogrn gas

hello

I want to make gas ballons that can fly,using hydrogen gas ..so i want to use this reaction

washing soda+water+aluminium foil..

But i don't know any risk involved in this and how much quantity to use..and before i had done this but the reaction was quite slow ..it took hours for balloon to get filled ..

can i use this reaction in plastic bottle of pepsi or coke..or i need to use only glass

Thanks
imran Ahmed

lightarrow said:
I used Na2CO3 instead of NaOH (or an acid as HCl) because the reaction is less violent and NaOH doesn't attack glass.

I intended: "because Na2CO3 doesn't attack glass."

imr said:
hello

I want to make gas ballons that can fly,using hydrogen gas ..so i want to use this reaction

washing soda+water+aluminium foil..

But i don't know any risk involved in this and how much quantity to use..and before i had done this but the reaction was quite slow ..it took hours for balloon to get filled ..

can i use this reaction in plastic bottle of pepsi or coke..or i need to use only glass

Thanks
imran Ahmed
You can use the container you prefer, provided it's not attacked by the strong alcaline solution, it sustains an increase in temperature due to the reaction, it's preferably transparent to monitor the reaction, preferably with no too thick walls to cool it quickly in case the reaction goes too fast and preferably made of something which could be heated, in order to accelerate the reaction if needed, or to accelerate its beginning.

hydrogen gas

is there any safe form of producing hydrogen gas by electrolysis without any adverse affects. so you would run vehicles that first are filled with water, battery starts engine, engine starts electrolysis, as well as top up the battery (plus storage tank contents remaining of h2 of previous drive out)
h2 is then created and stored in a safe container,and pumped to the engine
so energy from the engine feeds the battery generates h2 runs the vehicle and so on
thus eliminating need for hydrogen stops
just fill up with water at your local station every few thousand miles ,and maybe purchase a new battery
storage tank replaced every so many thousand miles for safety if needed ,along side
anything else affected by h2 in the vehicle plumbing etc.

just a thought = so no need for vast storage or transport of h2 problems
all built into the vehicles instead

david s j said:
is there any safe form of producing hydrogen gas by electrolysis without any adverse affects. so you would run vehicles that first are filled with water, battery starts engine, engine starts electrolysis, as well as top up the battery (plus storage tank contents remaining of h2 of previous drive out)
h2 is then created and stored in a safe container,and pumped to the engine
so energy from the engine feeds the battery generates h2 runs the vehicle and so on
thus eliminating need for hydrogen stops
just fill up with water at your local station every few thousand miles ,and maybe purchase a new battery
storage tank replaced every so many thousand miles for safety if needed ,along side
anything else affected by h2 in the vehicle plumbing etc.

just a thought = so no need for vast storage or transport of h2 problems
all built into the vehicles instead

That would be a perpetual motion machine, right?

1. How does electrolysis produce hydrogen without chlorine poisoning?

Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is passed through a liquid or solution to cause a chemical reaction. In this case, water is split into its component elements, hydrogen and oxygen, by passing an electric current through it. The electric current causes the water molecules to break apart, releasing hydrogen gas without producing chlorine gas.

2. What are the potential dangers of producing hydrogen using electrolysis?

The main danger of producing hydrogen through electrolysis is the potential for the production of chlorine gas. Chlorine gas can be toxic and harmful to both humans and the environment. Therefore, it is important to take precautions to avoid this potential danger.

3. How can chlorine poisoning be avoided during electrolysis?

Chlorine poisoning can be avoided by carefully controlling the process of electrolysis. This can be done by using a membrane or diaphragm cell, which separates the anode (where chlorine is produced) from the cathode (where hydrogen is produced). This prevents the chlorine gas from mixing with the hydrogen gas, ensuring a safe production process.

4. What factors can influence the production of hydrogen without chlorine poisoning?

The main factors that can influence the production of hydrogen without chlorine poisoning are the type of electrolysis cell used, the concentration of the electrolyte solution, and the voltage and current used during the process. It is important to carefully select these factors to ensure a safe and efficient production of hydrogen.

5. What are some applications of producing hydrogen using electrolysis?

Producing hydrogen through electrolysis has various applications, including fuel cells for vehicles, energy storage, and as a source of clean energy for industrial and residential purposes. It is also a key step in the production of other important chemicals, such as chlorine and sodium hydroxide.