Good place to volunteer/extracurriculars for physics or enginnering students?

In summary, the speaker is a community college student in California who plans to transfer to a UC in physics or engineering. They are struggling to find extracurricular activities that will make them competitive for their chosen programs, as they work full time and have limited options for internships. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances of getting into a program.
FlyingLobStar
Hello,

I am currently attending a community college and plan to transfer to a UC (I live in California) in either physics or engineering (not quite sure yet). I still have a long way to go because I work full time and go to class in the evenings. I want to be as competitive as possible when I apply and it seems many universities want transfer students to demonstrate an interest in their chosen field. I am trying to find a place to volunteer or program to participate in but I haven't come up with much. I am having a really tough time finding something extracurricular to do that would look good on my applications. I don't know if volunteering at a soup kitchen would qualify as "demonstrating interest". Or maybe, as a transfer applicant, it is valuable nonetheless? I checked out the Griffith Observatory but they don't take volunteers, and certainly not someone who doesn't even have an AA yet. I am near Caltech and JPL/NASA, but again, I browsed the websites and they didn't seem to have anything relevant for a community college student with no AA. Also, I am bound by the fact that I work full time so I can't do many of the internships out there. Am I being too narrow? Or am I doomed unless I stop working and go to school full time?

To sum it up, my question is what are some things I can do to improve my chances of getting into a engineering or physics program? Any input on this would be extremely helpful. I don't know if doing just about anything would make me more competitive. Should I just do whatever I can and hope for the best?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,
LobStar

Physics news on Phys.org
Research experience would look better than anything else. You would have been eligible to apply to most REU (research experience for undergraduates) programs, but the deadlines were in Feb. Talk to a professor at your college and see if they have any connections - they might be able to find someone at a local university or lab willing to take you on for the summer as an assistant. But it's really late to start looking for these positions now.

Hello LobStar,

It is great to hear that you are considering a career in physics or engineering and are looking for ways to make yourself more competitive as a transfer student. I can understand the importance of extracurricular activities and volunteering in demonstrating your interest and passion for your chosen field. Here are a few suggestions that may help you in your search:

1. Look for research opportunities: Many universities and research institutions offer research opportunities for undergraduate students. These can be in the form of summer programs or part-time positions during the academic year. These experiences can help you gain hands-on experience in your field and also provide a valuable addition to your resume.

2. Attend conferences and workshops: Look for conferences and workshops in your field of interest. These events not only provide an opportunity to learn from experts in the field but also allow you to network with others who share your interests. This can also lead to potential research or internship opportunities in the future.

3. Join a student organization: Many universities have student organizations focused on physics or engineering. Joining one of these organizations can not only help you build your skills and knowledge but also provide opportunities for leadership and community outreach.

4. Volunteer in your community: While volunteering at a soup kitchen may not directly relate to your field, it still demonstrates your commitment to giving back to your community. Look for volunteer opportunities that align with your interests, such as tutoring students in math or science, participating in science fairs, or organizing STEM-related events for local schools.

5. Utilize resources at your current institution: Talk to your professors and advisors about your interests and career goals. They may be able to connect you with research opportunities or recommend extracurricular activities that would be beneficial for you. Additionally, your college may have resources such as career fairs or workshops that can help you in your search.

Remember, it is not necessary to have a specific degree or level of education to be involved in activities related to your field. As long as you are able to demonstrate your passion and commitment, any experience can be valuable. I wish you the best of luck in your academic and career pursuits.

What are some good places for physics or engineering students to volunteer or participate in extracurricular activities?

1. What are some volunteer opportunities related to physics or engineering?
Answer: There are several options for volunteering in the fields of physics or engineering. You can volunteer at science museums, participate in STEM outreach programs, or assist with engineering projects for local communities.

2. Are there any specific organizations or clubs for physics or engineering students?
Answer: Yes, there are many organizations and clubs dedicated to physics and engineering. Some examples include the Society of Physics Students, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

3. What benefits can I gain from volunteering or participating in extracurriculars as a physics or engineering student?
Answer: Volunteering and participating in extracurricular activities can provide you with hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and a chance to apply your knowledge in real-world situations. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more well-rounded candidate for future opportunities.

4. Do I need to have a certain level of knowledge or experience to volunteer in physics or engineering?
Answer: It depends on the specific volunteer opportunity or extracurricular activity. Some may require a certain level of knowledge or experience, while others may provide training and on-the-job learning. It's always best to inquire about the requirements before committing to a volunteer opportunity.

5. Can international students also participate in these volunteer or extracurricular activities?
Answer: Absolutely! Many organizations and clubs welcome international students and provide opportunities for them to get involved. It's a great way to meet new people, learn about different cultures, and gain valuable experience in the field of physics or engineering.