Validating Infrared Beacon Frequency with an Oscilloscope

• Thread starter Rob K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infrared
In summary, the IR beacon is not transmitting the required 38kHz frequency. Rob needs to adjust the circuit to ensure that the 555 is oscillating.
Rob K
Hi there,

I have built an InfraRed beacon using a 555 timer using a 10K pot to tune the circuit.

How can I test that it is pulsing at the required 38kHz frequency that I need. I have tried using an oscilloscope, by connecting up the Earth and probing one of the legs of the IR LED, but I am not having any success.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Connect the oscilloscope to both sides of the LED?

Tried that, I only get the voltage, no frequency

? You mean the scope trace is DC?
That means the 555 is not oscillating, I think.

If you adjust the scale to see more than one pulse, you can measure the time between pulses. If you don't have any pulses, the setup (or the oscilloscope settings) is wrong.

Thank you Sorphiecentaur, I checked it and that is indeed the case. I was using the standard circuit as shown on the datasheet for a 555, and where there is the voltage divider, I have a 22 Kohm resistor and a 10 Kohm pot and a What I didn't know was that in this circuit, to the pot there should be power and pin 6, this I had, but the floating end I had put to ground. Now it is also pointing to the wiper (pin 6), the little blighter is oscillating. now I have to get it from173 kHz to 38 kHz.

Rob K, If you measure the signal at the IRLED you only can know if that it is present at that point. May I suggest that you go one step further, and determine if the IR pulses are really being transmitted? This would mean an IR receiver at some distance from the transmitter. Now, this may seem obvious, but it is true: If you measure the received pulses you validate that your system is really functioning.

1. What is an infrared beacon?

An infrared beacon is a device that emits a signal in the infrared range of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is used to aid in navigation and location detection in various applications, such as search and rescue missions, military operations, and scientific research.

2. How does an infrared beacon work?

An infrared beacon works by emitting a continuous or pulsed signal in the infrared range, which can be detected by specialized receivers. The signal is typically modulated with a specific pattern or code to differentiate it from other sources of infrared radiation.

3. What are the applications of infrared beacons?

Infrared beacons have a wide range of applications, including navigation and tracking in outdoor and indoor environments, remote control of electronic devices, and communication in low light or obscured environments. They are also used in military operations for target designation and in scientific research for studying animal behavior and migration patterns.

4. What are the advantages of using infrared beacons?

One of the main advantages of using infrared beacons is their ability to operate in low light or obscured environments, where other forms of communication may not be feasible. They are also more secure than radio frequency signals, as they have a shorter range and are less likely to be intercepted. Additionally, infrared beacons are relatively inexpensive and easy to deploy.

5. What are the potential limitations of using infrared beacons?

One potential limitation of using infrared beacons is their limited range compared to other forms of communication. The signal can also be affected by weather conditions, such as fog or heavy rain. Infrared beacons also require a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver, which may not always be possible in certain environments. Additionally, they can be susceptible to interference from other sources of infrared radiation.