What should be molten Lead Fluoride or Crayolite Contained In? (Best Crucible)

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different crucibles for experiments with molten Lead Fluoride and Crayolite in an electric muffle furnace. The participants suggest using graphite or alumina crucibles as alternatives to expensive platinum crucibles, and also consider using zirconia crucibles. They also mention the experiment of synthesizing Corundum Crystals and the maximum operating temperature of 1200 Celcius. The compatibility of cryolite with different materials is also discussed.
Panthera Leo
Hello,

I am willing to do some experiments with molten Lead Fluoride and Crayolite in an electric muffle furnace, but I am not sure what type of crucible to use? Platinum Crucibles are way too expensive and I am assuming Alumina Crucible is not suitable... so, are there any other alternatives?

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried graphite?

Alumina would work in theory, as it has a higher melting point than either cryolite or PbF2, but then again it depends on your maximum process temperature and what you're trying to accomplish.

Graphite seems like a good alternative... Thanks.

I am trying to synthesize Corundum Crystals. :)

This is a similar experiment:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022024874904011

My maximum operating temperature will be below 1200 Celcius.

How about a Zirconia Crucible ?

Is cryolite able to dissolve Zirconia / Graphite like it does with Alumina? I couldn't find any phase diagrams online...

Thanks again. I highly appreciate your contributions.

This is why I like replying to threads - I always learn something!

I've never actually worked with cryolite, and hadn't looked into its usefulness. Not sure of it's compatibility with those materials and would have to research it myself.

I would recommend using a ceramic crucible made of either zirconia or silicon carbide for containing molten Lead Fluoride and Crayolite. These materials are able to withstand high temperatures and chemical reactions, making them suitable for this type of experiment. Additionally, they are more affordable alternatives to platinum crucibles. It is important to ensure that the crucible is properly rated for the temperature and chemical composition of the molten substances to prevent any potential reactions or damage. I would also recommend conducting a small test run with a small amount of the substances to ensure the chosen crucible is suitable before proceeding with the full experiment.

1. What is the best material for a crucible to contain molten lead fluoride or crayolite?

The best material for a crucible to contain molten lead fluoride or crayolite is graphite. Graphite has a high melting point and is resistant to chemical reactions, making it ideal for containing these substances.

2. Can other materials, such as ceramic or metal, be used as a crucible for these substances?

Yes, other materials such as ceramic or metal can be used as a crucible for molten lead fluoride or crayolite. However, they may not be as resistant to high temperatures and chemical reactions as graphite.

3. How important is the shape of the crucible when containing these substances?

The shape of the crucible is important when containing these substances because it affects the heat distribution and flow of the molten material. A shallow, wide crucible is preferred for better heat transfer and easier removal of the molten material.

4. What precautions should be taken when using a crucible to contain these substances?

When using a crucible to contain molten lead fluoride or crayolite, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles to prevent any contact with the hot material. It is also important to have proper ventilation to avoid inhaling any fumes.

5. How can a crucible be prepared before containing these substances?

A crucible can be prepared before containing these substances by heating it gradually to a high temperature before use. This helps to remove any moisture or impurities that may be present in the crucible and prevents cracking or breakage when exposed to the high temperatures of the molten material.