Probability involving coin flips

• Thread starter Kalinka35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a certain number of changes in a sequence of coin flips with a given probability of heads. The conversation includes a formula for calculating this probability and a discussion on how to justify a multiplying factor in the formula.
Kalinka35

Homework Statement

We are flipping a coin with probability p of getting heads n times.
A "change" occurs when an outcome is different than the one before it. For example, the sequence HTHH has 2 changes.
If p=1/2 what is the probability that there are k changes?

Homework Equations

I've been working with the probability mass function of a binomial random variable:
(n C k) pk(1-p)n-k

The Attempt at a Solution

For the n flips there are n-1 possible "gaps" between flips when change could occur.
I then reasoned that at the end of every flip since you a flipping a fair coin, there is a 1/2 chance of getting a change and a 1/2 chance of not getting a change. My resulting formulation for probability of k changes in n flips was:
(n-1 C k)((1/2)k)((1/2)n-k)
but I worked out explicitly the probabilities of k changes for n=2, 3, and 4 and this function did not give me at all correct answers. I'm not sure how I should approach it differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've the right idea with (n-1 C k) counting the numbers of ways to get k flips in n throws in terms of where it flips. So how many total ways are there of throwing the coin n times and getting k flips? Now how many ways of throwing the coin n times without that restriction? Isn't the ratio going to be the probability?

"So how many total ways are there of throwing the coin n times and getting k flips? "
I say it's (n-1 C k) again.

"Now how many ways of throwing the coin n times without that restriction?"
2n

So this would give (n-1 C k)/2n, but when I run it against my calculated probabilities this gives half the value of the original answer. So it seems I should multiply by 2 in the formula. Not sure how to justify that though. Is it because you can have changes from H to T and T to H?

Kalinka35 said:
"So how many total ways are there of throwing the coin n times and getting k flips? "
I say it's (n-1 C k) again.

"Now how many ways of throwing the coin n times without that restriction?"
2n

So this would give (n-1 C k)/2n, but when I run it against my calculated probabilities this gives half the value of the original answer. So it seems I should multiply by 2 in the formula. Not sure how to justify that though. Is it because you can have changes from H to T and T to H?

Yes, if you have k flips, you can either start with H or T. 2*(n-1 C k) total ways, right?

Okay that was my line of reasoning. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't making a major miscalculation.
Thanks very much for your clear explanation.

1. What is the probability of getting heads on a single coin flip?

The probability of getting heads on a single coin flip is 50%, or 1/2. This is because there are only two possible outcomes (heads or tails), and each outcome has an equal chance of occurring.

2. What is the probability of getting heads on two consecutive coin flips?

The probability of getting heads on two consecutive coin flips is 25%, or 1/4. This is because the outcome of each flip is independent of the previous one, so the probability of getting heads on both flips is equal to multiplying the probabilities of each individual flip (1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4).

3. How many coin flips do I need to make in order to have a higher chance of getting heads than tails?

The number of coin flips needed to have a higher chance of getting heads than tails is infinite. Each flip has a 50% chance of being heads, so no matter how many flips you make, the probability will always be 50%. However, as the number of flips increases, the percentage of heads will approach 50%.

4. What is the probability of getting heads on a coin flip if I have already gotten tails 4 times in a row?

The probability of getting heads on a coin flip after getting tails 4 times in a row is still 50%, or 1/2. Each coin flip is independent of the previous ones, so the previous outcomes have no impact on the current one.

5. How does the probability of getting heads on a coin flip change if I have a biased coin?

If you have a biased coin, the probability of getting heads on a coin flip will depend on the specific bias of the coin. For example, if the coin is weighted to land on heads 60% of the time, then the probability of getting heads on a flip would be 60%. However, if the coin is biased in any way, the outcomes are no longer completely random and the probability will no longer be 50%.