Moment of inertia for physical pendulum

In summary, the formula for calculating the moment of inertia for a physical pendulum is I = \int r^{2} dm (for continuous objects) or I = \sum m D for all particles/objects composing the system, with the distance being squared for both continuous objects and point masses. For the specific example discussed, with a rigid, massless strut of length 11m and two masses of 55kg located at the free end and midpoint, the moment of inertia is calculated by squaring the distances (5.5m and 11m) and multiplying them by the respective masses, then adding the two results together to get a total of 8318.75 kg-m^2.
BoogieBot
I have a rigid, massless strut of length 11m. A mass of 55kg is located on the free end, and another mass of 55kg is located at the midpoint. I'm having some trouble calculating the moment of inertia I for this physical pendulum.

I = [tex]\int r^{2} dm[/tex] (for continuous objects)

I = [tex]\sum m D[/tex] for all particles/objects composing the system.

I'm a little confused. Should I calculate I for each 55kg mass and add them together?

Physics news on Phys.org
BoogieBot said:
Should I calculate I for each 55kg mass and add them together?
Exactly.

so:
55*5.5 = 302.5
55*11 = 605

so I for the whole pendulum is 907.5 kg-m^2, correct?

BoogieBot said:
so:
55*5.5 = 302.5
55*11 = 605

so I for the whole pendulum is 907.5 kg-m^2, correct?
No, your formula for I of a point mass is incorrect. (I didn't notice that earlier.)

BoogieBot said:
I = [tex]\int r^{2} dm[/tex] (for continuous objects)

I = [tex]\sum m D[/tex] for all particles/objects composing the system.
For both continuous objects and point masses, the distance must be squared. (Imagine integrating the first formula to get the second. All of the mass is at the same distance from the axis, so the integral is trivial.)

Ah, so then:

55*5.5^2 = 1663.75
55*11^2 = 6655

1663.75 + 6655 = 8318.75 kg-m^2

You got it.

awesome! thanks!

1. What is the moment of inertia for a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia for a physical pendulum is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the mass of the pendulum multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia for a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation I = mgl^2, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the gravitational acceleration, and l is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia for a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia for a physical pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the distribution of mass along the pendulum's length. It also depends on the axis of rotation and the orientation of the pendulum.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia affects the period of oscillation for a physical pendulum. A larger moment of inertia will result in a longer period of oscillation, meaning the pendulum will take longer to complete one full swing. This is because a larger moment of inertia requires more energy to overcome, resulting in a slower motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed for a physical pendulum?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a physical pendulum can be changed by altering the mass, length, or distribution of mass of the pendulum. It can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation or the orientation of the pendulum. These changes will affect the period of oscillation and the overall motion of the pendulum.