Is M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy Always Exact?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the question is whether the equation M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy = 0 is always exact. The answer is no, as a counterexample can be found. By developing M(x,y) into a Taylor series around (0,0) and then using (x_0,y_0) instead of (0,0), it can be seen that this equation is not always exact.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I thought that this was an interesting question.

(a) Show that [itex](x^3 + y)dx + (y^3 +x)dy = 0\qquad(1)[/itex] is exact.
(b)More generally, is [itex]M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy\qquad(2)[/itex] exact? Explain.

Homework Equations

Test for exactness: [tex]\left(\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}\right)_x=\left(\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}\right)_y[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Applying the test is simple enough. 1 = 1. Exact.

(b) Now this is how I am thinking about (b). Please correct me if I am wrong. M is simply a rule. It is in the form M(x1,x2). It tells us how to operate on whatever is in the x1 and x2 spot. In equation (2), in the first term, x1 = x and x2 = y , and in the second term x1 = y and x2 = x. Wouldn't this imply that the equation will always be exact? Is there a way to show that it is or isn't?

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose there is a function z=f(x,y). Your M and N are partial derivatives of z w.r.t x and y

[tex]M = \left(\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}\right), N = \left(\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}}\right)[/tex]

By taking a derivative of M with respect to y, and taking derivative of N with respect to x, you are essentially testing for exactness. It is an exact differential equation if and only if:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{y}}\right) \left(\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}\right) = \left(\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{x}}\right) \left(\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}}\right)[/tex]

Your objective is to find z.

I think to make it clear you need an example:

Suppose there are 2 functions, z1= 2*x^2 + y^2, z2 = x^2 + 2*y^2
M(z1) = 4x, N(z1) =2y M(z2) = 2x, N(z2) = 4y
My = 0, Nx = 0 My(z2) = 0, Nx(z2) = 0

So if I give you (4x)dx + (2y)dy = 0, your solution will be integral(M(z1))dx + integral(N(z1))dy =2x^2 + y^2 , and

if I give you (2x)dx + (4y)dy = 0, your solution will be integral(M(z2))dx + integral(N(z2))dy = x^2 + 2y^2.

This was only possible because both M and N were describing the same function z

Last edited:
Hi cronxeh :smile: I understand the test for exactness and how to find F(x,y) if it is exact. The question in part (b), is if equations of the form (2) are always exact. I am not sure how to apply what you have posted to part (b).

Saladsamurai said:
Hi cronxeh :smile: I understand the test for exactness and how to find F(x,y) if it is exact. The question in part (b), is if equations of the form (2) are always exact. I am not sure how to apply what you have posted to part (b).

So wait you saying part b is not a typo? You actually want to find whether M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy = c is always exact?

You can try to see what happens by developing M(x,y) into Taylor series around (0,0) and try on [tex]M(x,y)=x^my^n[/tex]. Once you are done, use [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] instead of [tex](0,0)[/tex]. This may give you some insight and intuition to start with.

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
So wait you saying part b is not a typo? You actually want to find whether M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy = c is always exact?

Indeed it is not a typo.

Notice that when you write

[tex]\frac{\partial M(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex] it can be written as well as

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial M(s,t)}{\partial s}\right)_{s=x,t=y}[/tex]

or

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial M(t,s)}{\partial t}\right)_{t=x,s=y}[/tex]

It's all the same. Now, you can do it.

Saladsamurai said:
(b)More generally, is [itex]M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy\qquad(2)[/itex] exact? Explain.
Hint (Big hint): Find a counterexample. It's not hard.

1) What does it mean for a differential equation to be exact?

When a differential equation is exact, it means that it can be solved by finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given equation.

2) How can I determine if a differential equation is exact?

A differential equation is exact if its coefficients satisfy the condition My = Nx. This means that the partial derivative of the function M with respect to y is equal to the partial derivative of the function N with respect to x.

3) Is M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy always an exact differential equation?

No, M(x,y)dx + M(y,x)dy is not always an exact differential equation. It is only exact if the coefficients satisfy the condition My = Nx.

4) How can I solve an exact differential equation?

To solve an exact differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables or the method of integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equation to put it in a form that can be easily integrated.

5) Are there any applications of exact differential equations in real life?

Yes, exact differential equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, economics, and other disciplines to model and solve real-world problems.