Naming Li & N Compounds: Li3N Explanation

In summary, when combining lithium and nitrogen, lithium nitride is formed with the formula Li3N. The (2) in the correct answer (2)Li3N is unclear, but according to redox chemistry, we can find the required coefficients using Faraday's technique. Nitrogen's most common oxidation numbers are 5+, 4+, 2+, 1+, 0, and 3-, while lithium is only oxidized to 1+. In the reaction, six moles of lithium are needed for every six electrons to convert N2 to 2N3-. The previous LateX reaction was incorrect, and should be 6Li \rightarrow 6Li^++6e^-.
Spectre32
Hey, I was just wondering about naming this compound

Lithium and Nitrogen. I know Li has a +1 charge but Nitrogen can have a bunch. How do I know what one to pick. Also my teach has this written for the correct answer (2)Li3N... what is that (2) out there for?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Lithium and nitrogen gives lithium nitride, Li3N. I have no idea what (2) means here, but according to redox chemistry, we can find the required coefficients.

Lithium:from [itex]Li^0[/itex] to [itex]Li^+[/itex]
Nitrogen: from [itex]N_2[/itex] to [itex]N^{3-}[/itex]

[tex]6~Li~+~N_2 \xrightarrow {heat} 2~Li_3N [/tex]

Look for Faraday's technique for synthesizing this compound.

Score thanks.

Oh yeah Umm question about this: For instance N have electron charges from +5 - (-1) How do you know what one to write down when combining it with an element.

Hello, I don't think nitrogen reduces from 5+ to 1- in any reaction, the most popular oxidation numbers for nitrogen are 5+, 4+, 2+, 1+, 0, and 3-. I may be wrong of course, but at least in your question, nitrogen changes from 0 to 3-; lithium is oxidized to its only oxidation state, 1+.

The order is as follows, first lithium is oxidized and electrons go out from it, and nitrogen gets electrons to reduce. As six electrons are needed to convert N2 to 2N3-, six moles of Li is needed as [itex]6Li \rightarrow 6Li^+~+~e^-[/itex].

A false statement about my last post:

My last LateX reaction is wrong, as it should be [itex]6Li \rightarrow 6Li^++6e^-[/itex]. Sorry for seeing this too late.

1. What is the chemical formula for lithium nitride (Li3N)?

The chemical formula for lithium nitride is Li3N, which indicates that there are three lithium atoms and one nitrogen atom in each molecule of the compound.

2. How is the name "lithium nitride" derived?

The name "lithium nitride" is derived from the names of its constituent elements, lithium and nitrogen. The suffix "-ide" is added to the name of the nonmetal element (nitrogen) to indicate that it has gained electrons and has a negative charge in the compound.

3. What is the valency of lithium in Li3N?

The valency of lithium in Li3N is +1. This means that in the compound, lithium has lost one electron and has a positive charge of +1.

4. What is the role of subscripts in the chemical formula of Li3N?

The subscripts in the chemical formula of Li3N indicate the ratio of atoms in the compound. In this case, there are three lithium atoms for every one nitrogen atom in Li3N.

5. Is lithium nitride an ionic or covalent compound?

Lithium nitride is an ionic compound. This is because it is formed by the transfer of electrons from lithium (a metal) to nitrogen (a nonmetal), resulting in the formation of ions with opposite charges.