Quick question on IUPAC organic naming

In summary, the correct name for the compound is hexanol since the longest parent chain has six carbons and the hydroxyl group is attached to the first carbon of the chain. The line next to the hydroxyl group represents a C-O bond with an oxygen atom at one end and a carbon atom at the other end.
RoboNerd
IMG_2031.JPG

Hi everyone. I was bashing my head against this compound.

I thought that the correct name for it was 4-ethyl-1-heptanol since apparently the longest parent chain has eight carbons.

Could anyone please advise if my answer is correct, and if not, what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If the longest parent chain has eight carbons, it would be octanol. Heptanol suggests seven carbons on the longest parent chain. While there are eight carbons total, the longest chain is six carbons, so the base name would be hexanol.

Ygggdrasil said:
While there are eight carbons total, the longest chain is six carbons, so the base name would be hexanol.

How is that true? I start at the beginning of the line next to the hydroxyl group. The beginning of the line, that point, where it meets the hydroxyl, I count it as one Carbon atom {I need to have C-OH}. Then, I move up through the lines, counting each "bump" as a single atom. I continue on towards the last point of the line towards the top-right... which would make me count seven points total, not 6

The line next to the hydroxyl group represents a C-O bond with an oxygen atom at one end and a carbon atom at the other end.

Likes RoboNerd and Pepper Mint
Ahh ok. Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

1. What is IUPAC organic naming?

IUPAC organic naming is a standardized system used to name organic compounds. It follows a set of rules to assign a unique name to each compound based on its structure and functional groups.

2. Why is IUPAC organic naming important?

IUPAC organic naming is important because it provides a universal language for scientists to communicate about organic compounds. It also allows for the systematic and unambiguous naming of compounds, making it easier to identify and classify them.

3. How do I name a compound using IUPAC rules?

To name a compound using IUPAC rules, start by identifying the longest carbon chain in the molecule. Then, determine the functional groups present and their location on the chain. Finally, use the rules for naming substituents, prefixes, and suffixes to construct the compound's name.

4. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules. For example, common names are still widely used for some compounds, such as acetic acid and ethyl alcohol. Additionally, some compounds may have multiple acceptable names depending on their structure.

5. Is there a specific order to follow when naming functional groups using IUPAC rules?

Yes, there is a specific order to follow when naming functional groups using IUPAC rules. The order is: carboxylic acids, aldehydes, ketones, alcohols, amines, and alkyl halides. However, if a compound contains multiple functional groups of the same type, the prefixes di-, tri-, and tetra- are used to indicate the number of groups present.