Find a linearly independent subset F of E

In summary, to find a linearly independent subset F of E, you can discard vectors from E until the remaining set is linearly independent.
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

Let U be the subspace of R5 spanned by the vectors
E={(1,1,0,0,1),(1,1,0,1,1),(0,1,1,1,1),(2,1,-1,0,1)}.
Find a linearly independent subset F of E with Span(E)=U

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that E is linearly dependent and that the solution set to it is
c1=-t, c2=-t, c3=t, c4=t
I'm not sure how to figure out which vectors are linear combos of the each other??
I'm assuming that once I find the linearly dependent one(s), then the remaining vectors will be linearly independent. Will this be F?

Physics news on Phys.org
please please PLEASE help me someone, I have a final on this at 8AM :(

csc2iffy said:

Homework Statement

Let U be the subspace of R5 spanned by the vectors
E={(1,1,0,0,1),(1,1,0,1,1),(0,1,1,1,1),(2,1,-1,0,1)}.
Find a linearly independent subset F of E with Span(E)=U

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that E is linearly dependent and that the solution set to it is
c1=-t, c2=-t, c3=t, c4=t
I'm not sure how to figure out which vectors are linear combos of the each other??
I'm assuming that once I find the linearly dependent one(s), then the remaining vectors will be linearly independent. Will this be F?

From your work, the vectors in E are linearly dependent. If you set t = 1, you have -1v1 + (-1)v2 + 1v3 + 1v4 = 0, where the vi vectors are the ones in your set.

This equation can be solved for v4 as a linear combination of the other three, so you can discard v4. If the resulting set is now linearly independent, then that's your answer. If the resulting set is still linearly dependent, keep discarding vectors until you get a set of vectors that is linearly independent.

1. What is a linearly independent subset?

A linearly independent subset is a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be created by a linear combination of other vectors in the same space. This means that none of the vectors in the subset can be written as a combination of the others.

2. How do you find a linearly independent subset?

To find a linearly independent subset, you can start with a set of vectors and use Gaussian elimination or other methods to reduce it to a set of linearly independent vectors. Another method is to check the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors - if the determinant is non-zero, the vectors are linearly independent.

3. Why is it important to find a linearly independent subset?

Finding a linearly independent subset is important because it can help simplify calculations and make it easier to understand the relationships between vectors in a vector space. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in many applications in science and engineering.

4. Can a linearly dependent set be turned into a linearly independent subset?

Yes, a linearly dependent set can be reduced to a linearly independent subset by removing vectors that can be written as linear combinations of the others. This process is known as linear dependence testing.

5. Are all subsets of a vector space linearly independent?

No, not all subsets of a vector space are linearly independent. Some subsets may contain vectors that are linear combinations of others, making them linearly dependent. It is important to check for linear independence when working with vector spaces.